publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Citizenship Time Clock F-1 -> H1->EAD-> Conditional GC?

Does anyone know if time in the US as a F-1 and H1-B visa count towards citizenship, now that I have continuosly stayed in the country and have a conditional GC? If F1-B and H1-B does not qualify, does time since the day I got married to USC counts as time towards citizenship, or do the INS start counting my time on the day they issued my EAD or conditional green card, or what? Does anyone know when that 4 years and 1 day rule start counting and how soon I can apply for citizenship? Here's my length of stay and applicable visa.

- 2 years of F1 in a master program
    - 1 year of F1 working in optional practical raining
    - 2 years working as H1-B
    * half year unemployed out of status
    - Almost 2 years working ith a EAD through marriage to USC
    - Conditional GC for a couple of months

Does anyone know if time in the US as a F-1 and H1-B visa count towards citizenship, now that I have continuosly stayed in the country and have a conditional GC? If F1-B and H1-B does not qualify, does time since the day I got married to USC counts as time towards citizenship, or do the INS start counting my time on the day they issued my EAD or conditional green card, or what? Does anyone know when that 4 years and 1 day rule start counting and how soon I can apply for citizenship? Here's my length of stay and applicable visa.

- 2 years of F1 in a master program
    - 1 year of F1 working in optional practical raining
    - 2 years working as H1-B
    * half year unemployed out of status
    - Almost 2 years working ith a EAD through marriage to USC
    - Conditional GC for a couple of months

You're married to a USC, you can apply for citizeship 3 years after you get your green card.
    You can actually file 60 days (or is it 90?) before the 3rd anniversary of you getting your green card.

Thanks Marie. What do you say about the 3rd anniversary of green card. Is it 3rd anniversary from the Conditional green card or the one they issue after that?
    Thanks again.

The conditional 2 years count to total 3 years. Hence from the day you got conditional + 3years.

the three yrs. are really technicality; in practice, you will have to remove the condition (after two yrs. of marriage) and wait (anythere from a few months to a few yrs.) for your resident alien card that's valid for 10 yrs. (because you have to show that you have actually received the 10-yr.-card, then you apply and qualify for naturalization).

You're residency in any status other than permanent resident alien does not count towards your eligibility towards citizenship. Your time starts counting from the day your status was adjudicated (not then you got married etc.) to that of lawfull permanent alien (it should be on your "green card").

Good luck!

Yes Hanabal is right. You time will be counted from the day your passport was stamped for GC. If you will check back of your GC you will find that date printed there. Donot forget to remove conditions on your GC after two years of adjustment before applying for Naturalization.
    Good luck.