free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: First time working in US - your experience

Guys,

Just wanna know, if anyone of you working for the first time in US. Could you pls tell us what is the things have to look to and how hard it is to adjust yourself in the new office environment with the different cultures of work. Thanks

Guys,

Just wanna know, if anyone of you working for the first time in US. Could you pls tell us what is the things have to look to and how hard it is to adjust yourself in the new office environment with the different cultures of work. Thanks

It depends on what country you're coming from. If you are from a European country, the adjustment will probably be relatively easy. If you are from the east or far east, then it might be a bit more difficult. It depends on a whole lot of things. I'm not a foreigner in the US, but I've lived abroad. The most important thing is to keep your eyes open and watch the way that people interact. Don't assume anything. Try to have a good sense of humor, because no matter how careful you are, you're going to make mistakes when you're adjusting to a new culture. Try to have American friends and assimilate into American culture without giving up your identity. You can still be proud of your heritage and your native land while at the same time getting a little bit "americanized." You will get frustrated and perhaps homesick, but just don't ever let yourself get bitter. Remember that when learning about another culture the rule of thumb to follow is this: Never "better," never "worse," just different. Many Americans are very patriotic in a way that differs from people of other countries. You need to be sensitive of this when discussing international politics with Americans. Also, remember that since America is a very diverse place, there are a lot of sensitive "issues" about race and ethnicity for many Americans. Good luck. Hope you like it here. :-)

Thanks Chipmunk! I'm from asian...I worked with corporate companies in my home country, but well as I said, its sorrounded with my culture and ppl. I understand with what you said...'being a little bit americanize'

I don't think I have problem with my skills and abilities in work. But I just quite nervous, its feel like I'm starting my first job!!!

Wow, according to monk, it appears I should have kept my mouth shut all the time ... which I have not done ... but who knows, after all they can suspend me at any time ... who cares ...

Chipmunk gave very good advice. Me2 cares or she wouldn't have posted what she did. I have worked in Human Resources for years and Liepa, your attitude is the one I "weed" out. Working in harmony and keeping peace in the workplace is extremely important for many reasons, productivity only being one of those.

heard the same conversation on the pier yesterday.
    Its a discussion, not a legal advise..

Well, it all depends in which field you're working... You got already good examples, my two cents would be: to yes, cultural, sexual and age sensitivy is a total must, and rightly so! It promotes that people can concentrate on their potencials and not on being popular or bullying or being bullied ("it ain't your highschool after all!" ;-).

The American work force is an adult population and they work very effective and proffesional. Be it production or services. That is why we've got ten of the first most sold and recognized products are American!

congrats Me2 to your ss card and good luck with your work!