free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: F1 to AOS

Hey Everyone.

I am an International Student, who will be appyling to AOS after my Visa becomes current from Family Based sponsor. However, I was wondering, when I file for AOS, my status must be stated, which means I need to provide my I20 paper (stating that am "in-status"). The question is: Will the BCIS (formerly INS), will do background check on my Student Status or will they simply go by the SEVIS approved I20?. At this point I want to know, what kind of background checks does BCIS do on AOS applicants? I hope someone who has a knowledge in this topic can respond. Thanks

Hey Everyone.

I am an International Student, who will be appyling to AOS after my Visa becomes current from Family Based sponsor. However, I was wondering, when I file for AOS, my status must be stated, which means I need to provide my I20 paper (stating that am "in-status"). The question is: Will the BCIS (formerly INS), will do background check on my Student Status or will they simply go by the SEVIS approved I20?. At this point I want to know, what kind of background checks does BCIS do on AOS applicants? I hope someone who has a knowledge in this topic can respond. Thanks

First of all, do you know how long you still have to wait before a visa number is available for you? Usually family-based categories have waiting times of years. You may be done with school by then. However, if you're still in school on a valid F-1, now the checks are much more strict and consistent. I have heard that they will check with the school to see if (a) you are enrolled full time and (b) you are still enrolled at the school indicated on your I-20. As far as background checks, there are several done. The first is the fingerprint FBI check; then there is a "national security" check, where your name is checked against various lists, especially if you come from certain countries. There may be other checks depending on the kind of "hits" your name gets on the various lists or databases. Many of these checks are not known by the public, as many of these are national security checks.

Unless you're a terrorist, fugitive, smuggler or other criminal you should not worry.

NYCImmParalegal

I have about 3-4 months left for my visa to become current, my studies are fine, I am attending the school. But I was just thinking, the new I20 have been issued using SEVIS system, and that information on this system is available to BCIS and to Department of Justice. So, the new system allows to the school, BCIS and Dept. of Justice to view everything, including transfer of schools or failure to attend.

Here is my other question: SEVIS can give the student 2 statuses - Initiated Status (expected to attend) or Active stutus (currently attending), when it comes to AOS background check, will this Status check come to play a role? since the I20 doesnt have that status information (even if the date the course ends is still valid)?