50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: renewing work authorization card

Does anyone know how long it can take to get a renewed employment authorization card? One of my coworkers' cards expired in September, but he presented an INS application showing that he applied for another card. It hasn't been processed by INS, we just have a copy of what he sent them. We're wondering when we will get the new card so we can update his file. We also need to be sure we can legally employ him. Has anyone been through this process?

Does anyone know how long it can take to get a renewed employment authorization card? One of my coworkers' cards expired in September, but he presented an INS application showing that he applied for another card. It hasn't been processed by INS, we just have a copy of what he sent them. We're wondering when we will get the new card so we can update his file. We also need to be sure we can legally employ him. Has anyone been through this process?

Depends on which service center it's filed with, but generally it takes 2 to 4 months to get EAD these days. INS is starting its annual internal audit, which may cause delay even more.

Karl, do you know if he's OK to employ? He processed through either Raleigh or Greenville, North Carolina. We just want to be careful, and we don't want to fire someone we don't have to. Any ideas?

The rule is that you should apply at least 90 days before your old EAD runs out. After 90 days, you have the right to walk into the INS office and ask for a renewal there and then. The applicant should take their I-795 receipt with them to proove that they applied.

What is the I-795, please? This is all so confusing! I appreciate your post!