50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: N-400, gave me a month to bring more proofs

I married my husband in 2004, got my first 2 years GC, then my 10 years GC.
    I received my green cards with no problems had lease, bills together.
    Applying for N-400 base on my more then 3 years union with US citizen.

Here is a problem after i got my 10 years GC i did not keep our records together too good ( i didn't really thought they would ask for it, if i knew that would be in issue i would get it done)
    My husband is a construction worker he pays everything cash, he hates bills, i had to force him at the first place to have banking together.
    we end up closing joint account because he would swipe his card everywhere with out managing a balance, he went over limit many times, bank charge us a fee.
    He admited he can't use credit cards and since then he is carrying cash just like he did before.
    We had a car insurance together for couple years, then he got his speeding tickets many 5 or six, our rate went up , it cost us almost 400-500/month.
    we could not afford it, and cancel it because it's legal in NH not to have a car insurance.

So i went for my interview, past the test, need to bring additional documents
    to proof our union. I don't have anything except apartment lease, we don't have payments we own our cars, he pays cash and saves cash at his parents house, i have savings on my name too.

---What should i do?? i can only bring a lease, some letters from parents and friends, but that's all we have, well he want to come to the office and talk to them(probably not a good idea)
    ---if they denied N-400 will i loose my green card??

I regred applying so early i could live with my green card for a long without any problems.

Thanks for your advice

I married my husband in 2004, got my first 2 years GC, then my 10 years GC.
    I received my green cards with no problems had lease, bills together.
    Applying for N-400 base on my more then 3 years union with US citizen.

Here is a problem after i got my 10 years GC i did not keep our records together too good ( i didn't really thought they would ask for it, if i knew that would be in issue i would get it done)
    My husband is a construction worker he pays everything cash, he hates bills, i had to force him at the first place to have banking together.
    we end up closing joint account because he would swipe his card everywhere with out managing a balance, he went over limit many times, bank charge us a fee.
    He admited he can't use credit cards and since then he is carrying cash just like he did before.
    We had a car insurance together for couple years, then he got his speeding tickets many 5 or six, our rate went up , it cost us almost 400-500/month.
    we could not afford it, and cancel it because it's legal in NH not to have a car insurance.

So i went for my interview, past the test, need to bring additional documents
    to proof our union. I don't have anything except apartment lease, we don't have payments we own our cars, he pays cash and saves cash at his parents house, i have savings on my name too.

---What should i do?? i can only bring a lease, some letters from parents and friends, but that's all we have, well he want to come to the office and talk to them(probably not a good idea)
    ---if they denied N-400 will i loose my green card??

I regred applying so early i could live with my green card for a long without any problems.

Thanks for your advice

Take everything you have joint names for and affidavits from friends and family. The latter will need to be notarized but finding someone to do that is easy. All they want to do is ensure that you are still married and eligible for the 3 year naturalization.

You would not lose your green card if citizenship is denied.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

I am afraid to go there now, officer was not nice he was very serious, when i said my husband is a duel citizen(Canada US) he reply that US doesn't recognize that, also said something about people from Cuba who choose the wrong goverment that why they stuck.
    He ask me if i have any proof that I am still married with me, i was trying to explaine, he said" just say yes or no" i said "no".

when you fill out N-400 it doesn't say anything about proofs that you have to have

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by galina1982:
    I am afraid to go there now, officer was not nice he was very serious, when i said my husband is a duel citizen(Canada US) he reply that US doesn't recognize that, also said something about people from Cuba who choose the wrong goverment that why they stuck.
    He ask me if i have any proof that I am still married with me, i was trying to explaine, he said" just say yes or no" i said "no".

when you fill out N-400 it doesn't say anything about proofs that you have to have </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't blame you for being nervous! I've been lucky that I've always dealt with nice ones but I know plenty of people that haven't. Don't let it get to you though. You may not even have that particular gentleman when you go back.

Anyway, the reason they want the proof is because the 3 year rule is only for people that gained their residency through marriage and are still married to the sponsoring spouse. If you're divorced or separated, you have to wait 5 years like everybody else, so they need to make sure that it's not being abused. It's really not that big a deal.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

should i try to bring my lease and pull up some old bank statements, or ignore get denied and apply for N-400 next time?

Don't ignore it. Why waste all that money? Citizenship isn't cheap! Take the lease and grab a couple of affidavits from friends and family. The outdated bank statements probably won't be any good. What they're looking for is proof that you're married now, not 6 months or a year ago.

i know they need a proof, i can bring my husband)
    i was stupid not to think about it, we don't have any statements
    with both of our names it's just happens, we are not a wealthy
    average people, no savings, no home, no isurances

you think they will consider letters from friends and family as a proof))
    they are serious people
    i know it's $700, it will take me another 4 month to save up
    if i bring some documents but it won't be enough they will call me in again and again

Letters won't work but affidavits will, Galina. For an example of what's needed, check this page and scroll down to the appropriate example.

Honestly, I think you're worrying too much. All they want to do is ensure that you're still married and I doubt they'll need as much evidence as they needed when you applied for your green card.