Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I allowed to study in US

Hi all,

I come to US last year with visitor visa and then marry to US citizen, I filed all the necessary document on Sept 2002, I have already received work permit and now I have a part time job, meanwhile, I am still waiting for the I-485, I-130 to be approved, I want to know whether I can go to attend college/university english class, because I think my english is not good enough to communicate with American.

Thank you very much!

Hi all,

I come to US last year with visitor visa and then marry to US citizen, I filed all the necessary document on Sept 2002, I have already received work permit and now I have a part time job, meanwhile, I am still waiting for the I-485, I-130 to be approved, I want to know whether I can go to attend college/university english class, because I think my english is not good enough to communicate with American.

Thank you very much!

Seems no one know the answer ah...
    Alternatively, should I apply for student visa instead?

Yes,
    You can apply for study. There are some centres which offers free ESL regardless of status. check out with probono services. they will give you adresses of centres.

Why are you contemplating to switch to student visa? Is your family based petition not good enough? If you want to attend school in the US just bring the receipts with you. You have a pending AOS application so your stay is legal.I guess you applied for EAD too so you must have a valid SSN. Just bring everything with you.

If you're planning to attend a college, you won't need to apply for an I-20. In fact, if you do, you'll end up paying out of state tuition (a lot)
    I know you don't have a geeen card yet, so you'll be asked to fill out and sign a form that says you're applying for an OS. That's it.

WHAT THE WORLD OS STANDS FOR. PLEASE CLARIFY. THANKS

I think that was a typographic mistake. The word is AOS and not OS. Word AOS stands for Adjustment of Status.
    Good luck.

Dear All,

Thanks for all of your information, I have a SSN and INS has give me the receipt, I think I can start to find a right school to apply.

Dear Mohan, could you pls tell me what is "probono services", can I look it up from internet?

Dear Ben Dover,
    Yes, u r right, I don't have a green card right now, my status should be "AOS". but do you know if I apply to "fee based college/school", can I receive allowance from US Gov.? (As my husband is my sponsor and he is a tax payer)

Thanks for all of you again!

Green card is required to be eligible for financial aid. In the mean time, you can take advantage of the many non-profit programs offering free English courses. You can start by looking at www.ymca.org or do a Google search on free English courses, you'll find plenty.

Good Luck