50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: tourist then got married...

I have a very common question but still if you're still in my shoes medyo mahirap din. I was there Oct 2001 on a B1B2 visa, and got married in NY last Jan 02 to a 15 year permanent resident. I was out of status last April'02 but was able to get an extention until Oct '02. My husband is now getting his usc para sa akin lamang. I am now back here in Pinas since last Aug. because I don't want to destroy my 10 yr multiple. The question is, is it really easier to petition me as a usc (1 yr process daw ang usc plus 1 yr to petition me), or petition me as a permanent resident? My husband and I are also looking for a very competent lawyer in the NY, NJ area.

I have a very common question but still if you're still in my shoes medyo mahirap din. I was there Oct 2001 on a B1B2 visa, and got married in NY last Jan 02 to a 15 year permanent resident. I was out of status last April'02 but was able to get an extention until Oct '02. My husband is now getting his usc para sa akin lamang. I am now back here in Pinas since last Aug. because I don't want to destroy my 10 yr multiple. The question is, is it really easier to petition me as a usc (1 yr process daw ang usc plus 1 yr to petition me), or petition me as a permanent resident? My husband and I are also looking for a very competent lawyer in the NY, NJ area.

Your husband can sponsor you as a LPR. When he will be USC then he can write a letter to the INS to upgrade the petition, in this way you will save time in processing of the petition. If he will petition now, then you will be in the United States within few months.

I have a question.

I am an LPR (greencard holder). I filed I130 (immigrant petition for relative) for my foreign spouse in 2001. INS at NSC (Nebraska Service Center) have stopped processing non IR (Immediate Relative) I130s. If I become a USC later this year, will the INS recognize my filed but unprocessed I130, or will I have to start again?

To Kent:
    When you had filed petition, the INS had sent you a Receipt Notice. By the time, you become a USC, if the petition is not approved you can write a letter to the INS alongwith a copy of Receipt Notice and Naturalization Certificate. If the petition is already approved then you can write to NVC.
    Good Luck.

Follow-up question...

I am planning to go back there again this coming April. I haven't declared my marriage status here in my country, so I'm still going to use my old passport and visa. When the petition do comes for me, will they give me a hard time with the interview and eventually deny my petition because I didn't declared my "new" status, and still used my "old visa" to get in and out of US?

you do not need a lawyer! all you need is to make sure that you stay long enough in the philippines before you come back. otherwise, they will say that you spend too much time in here and might deny you entry. also, since you extended your prior stay, they will definitely question you as to the reason why you had to stay for 1 year as a tourist. they will also ask you if you worked, and if you did pay taxes. afterwihich, they might give you one month stay. good luck and best wishes!