free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: US green card and canadian residency

Hi:

I am a US green card holder and will be able to apply for citizenship w/i a year. I wonder if I can apply for canadian residency w/o zeopradicing my US residency or future citizenship. Does anyone knows the rule regarding this?

Thanks.

Hi:

I am a US green card holder and will be able to apply for citizenship w/i a year. I wonder if I can apply for canadian residency w/o zeopradicing my US residency or future citizenship. Does anyone knows the rule regarding this?

Thanks.

Why would you wanna do that?????
    I know you answered a question to get an answer, not a question, but,
    what can I say.....why?
    And.....
    Still without knowing why,
    My answer would sincerely be:"I don't know". I would guess: "yes". What does Canada have to do with usa. That's why my answer is "yes". You choose to walk on two paths at the same time, I wish you luck, but that's an expression saying that whoever's running for 2 rabbits won't catch any.
    You decide.

Le't hope that someone does.

I want to apply for canadian residency for some family issue. However, I remember, once my lawyer (who helped me get H1B) told me that US green card can be revoked if INS determines that someones shows intent not to live USA permanently, which of course is subject to interpretation. Thats the reason I am anxious if applying for canadian residency now will have any negative impact on my US green card.

Thanks.

thanks for explaining yourself.
    Good luck then!(I still don't agree, but if you think is right, do it and good luck)

Now lets wait for some real answers concerning your enquiry.
    Someone may know for sure if this is right or wrong to do.

Get your citizenship first, I guess that is why you've come this far?! Am I right? You can travel anywhere you want if you're USC! YOU have to choose no matter what, but remember you won't have both

Happy:

Actually, when it comes to travel, Canadian Passport is more valuable then U.S and also in some countries, Canadians are treated more favourably then U.S citizens.

I didn't know that...well then...it is much more simple to be a Canadian But, I don't think you can just have two citizenships.

Happy:

One can have two or more citizenships, if it's allowed by particular countries. Both U.S and Canada allow dual citizenships so yes it's possible for one to be a citizen of U.S and Canada at the same time.

Thanks for your input. I know having citizenship for both USA and Canada is permissible. I just want to know if I can apply for canadian residency right now w/o loosig US green card or if I can have both US GC and canadian residency at the same time.

Please help me on this specific issue, if you can.

Thanks.