I-601

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-601

Hello, I'm new to this group and was wondering if someone could help me out.
    Does the lawyer file the I-601 and 112 from the US or does the foreign spouse file them at the consulate?

After they are filed, any ideas on the timeframe for a decision?

Thank you very much!

Hello, I'm new to this group and was wondering if someone could help me out.
    Does the lawyer file the I-601 and 112 from the US or does the foreign spouse file them at the consulate?

After they are filed, any ideas on the timeframe for a decision?

Thank you very much!

Comment

Hi,
      You do not file an I-601 until you are asked for it. If you are filing a K-1 or K-3 and your spouse is abroad, he/she would have to file it at or after the interview. The I-601 is not an easy waiver to prepare or get approved, so if you think or know that you need one, i would advice you to retain and attorney. It requires a lot of work.
      The time frame depends on where you are filing. For example I think London is taking between 6 to 8 weeks and Ciudad Juarez 8 to 12 weeks. Some other consulates take up to a full year.
      Good luck!

Comment

Lost,
        Thank you for your reply. The Romanian consulate has already requested it back in April, 2003. The lawyer is in the process of filing it now.
        We just didn't know the process, i.e. who files it, timeframe, etc.

Comment

Working...
        X