Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can become US Citizen within 3 years of GC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can become US Citizen within 3 years of GC?

One of the requirements posted on BCIS's website in the Naturalization guidline, states that if you've been married to a US citizen for 3 years, you can become a US Citizen after being a permanent resident for 3 years. At least that's what the chart on page 18 on the guidline looks like. So if I received my GC yesterday and have been already married to the US citizen for 3 years, can I apply for my citizebship in 3 years from now? or do I have to wait for 5 years? thanks.

One of the requirements posted on BCIS's website in the Naturalization guidline, states that if you've been married to a US citizen for 3 years, you can become a US Citizen after being a permanent resident for 3 years. At least that's what the chart on page 18 on the guidline looks like. So if I received my GC yesterday and have been already married to the US citizen for 3 years, can I apply for my citizebship in 3 years from now? or do I have to wait for 5 years? thanks.

Comment

You only have to wait for 3 years from yesterday (the day you were granted LPR) because you are married to a USC. Actually, you can apply for citizenship 2 years and 9 months from yesterday.

Comment

in simple terms,

IT IS THREE YEARS FROM THE DATE YOU WERE GRANTED LPR/LCR.

LCR=LEGAL CONDITIONAL RESIDENCE/CONDITIONAL GREEN CARD.

Comment

you must be LPR for 3 yrs. AND be married for a minimum of 3 yrs. AND still be married with the same U.S. citizen wife up to the point there you take your oath which can take anythere from 6-8 months to 1,5 yrs. after you apply for naturalization.

Comment

The three-3 rule:
            (i) You have been an LPR for 3 years
            (ii) You have been married to the USC for 3 years
            (iii) The USC has been a U.S. citizen for 3 years

If so, you're good to go!

Comment

Working...
            X