If marriage is not an option... plz help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If marriage is not an option... plz help

I'm a Canadian citizen, and I recently accepted a job offer from USA. My employer will sponsor me in applying for the H-1B visa, but I wish for my boyfriend (also a Canadian citizen) to come to USA with me. If marriage is not an option for us right now, what are our alternatives?

I'm a Canadian citizen, and I recently accepted a job offer from USA. My employer will sponsor me in applying for the H-1B visa, but I wish for my boyfriend (also a Canadian citizen) to come to USA with me. If marriage is not an option for us right now, what are our alternatives?

Comment

Thank you in advance for any answer.

Comment

He'll have to try to get his own visa. You have no basis to sponsor him.

Comment

Thanks AliBA.

If we get married, can I sponsor him based on my H-1B visa? Do we have to marry before I apply for the H-1B?

Comment

If you marry, you can sponsor him for an H-4 visa under H1-B. Be aware, however, that H-4 will NOT allow him to work in any capacity. He'll need his own H1-B for that. He may be able to attend school under an H-4, but I'm not sure about that.

Comment

There are no visa categories for boy/girlfriends and significant others. Hence, they can either come to visit or they have to procure their own visas on their own merits.

Comment

Thank you, AliBA and MYCImmParalegal.

One more question...

If I decide to sponsor my boyfriend for an H-4 visa under H1-B (i.e. get married), do we have to be married at the time when my employer sponsors me for my H1-B? Can I sponsor him a few months after I get my H1-B? Thanks.

Comment

Sorry, I spelled your name wrong, NYCImmParalegal.

Comment

I believe that Canadian citizen also can work in the States by using TN visa, why don't you look it up?

Comment

Working...
                    X