I-130 interview--what's that like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-130 interview--what's that like?

Hello--I have an I-130 interview coming up, have all the paperwork, read all the questions, am not worried about being legitimate, was just curious if anyone ever had one, and how it went? Most people have AOS interviews, but because we had to file I-130 alone, we have an interview. I just wanted to hear some experiences. We have a binder of all the required evidence, just looking for others' takes on the Los Angeles office for this, or other ones, I guess. Thanks a lot.

Hello--I have an I-130 interview coming up, have all the paperwork, read all the questions, am not worried about being legitimate, was just curious if anyone ever had one, and how it went? Most people have AOS interviews, but because we had to file I-130 alone, we have an interview. I just wanted to hear some experiences. We have a binder of all the required evidence, just looking for others' takes on the Los Angeles office for this, or other ones, I guess. Thanks a lot.

Comment

it's easy...keep your cool...that's all

Comment

Dear Guestee,
        I am in removal proceedings and had my I-130 interview last month. The interivew will be very viguorous. Such interview are called " stoek's interviews" and are very intesnse.

Be real prepared. Make sure your answers match very closely. Have all your documents ready. Take a lawyer and be ready for a very rude INS officer.

The officer will ask for all photo copies and you will be on the camera. I was first interviewed with my wife then I was interviewed alone and then my wife.

Make sure your answers are real close and they might issue you an intent to deny for very close answers. Like the INS questioned the fact that I said my wife was wearing a red dress and she said she was wearing a Burgundy dress...

I wish you good luck and if you have any other question buddy leave your email here and I will email you...

Comment

Sorry I couldn't reply until today. Why is it called Stoek's interview? I am sure our answers will match, but I am sure I won't know everything. How can one possibly prepare for that? now I am nervous. It is in a couple of hours... Why do they have to be rude? What's the purpose in that? I have copies of virtually everything they could ask for. We've been together for two years, so we should know most everything, but still... any other advice?

Comment

Tommy, maybe you want to give the exact questions they asked, and you can tell where they thought they found discrepancies.

Comment

Well I was asked about our first meeting. Our second meeting. What she was wearing, what I was wearing ETC. What did we do and stuff.

Our marraige, our day to day life. Also we were told to make a diagram of our room and asked where everything was.

Comment

The interview was about 1 and a half hours..

Comment

Dear Guestee,
                  I hope your interview went well and that you were issued an approval...

Please let us know about the decission of the officer!

Comment

Well it is over! He didn't tell us his decision, he said we'd get it in 2 weeks (our lawyer said probably more like 2 months) but our lawyer said she was 99% sure we would be approved. We had to wait a long time to be called, but the interview was surprisingly short. He didn't separate us. First he just asked us to go over the first page of the I-130, checking to see if anything had changed. Then he asked a question about the date of our marriage and when we met. We became nervous and started stumbling over the timeline, and he started to look really serious. But, suddenly it came together, and we explained sufficiently to him. Also, my wife had written an affadavit and included with the I-130 saying how we had met, and our lawyer directed his attention to it. My wife included many of our 'proofs' with the petition (because of being in proceedings, our lawyer recommended that we submit a second petition with supporting documentation of our relationship. He asked about a few things, like some plane tix for a trip we took, our wedding rings (he wanted to see the original documents). Then he asked for a few other documents, copies of our joint bank account, proof that I was a dependent on my wife's medical, and then our tax returns. That was about it! The whole thing took about 1/2 hour! Our lawyer said that probably because my wife had so well documented our relationship over the last 2 years, that he just didn't really question it. So, it seems pretty positive. I'll let you know when we get the approval

Comment

Well I wouldn't say that yet! Just pray that you will get it... Lord willing, you will get it. There is nothing for sure at this point, not trying to scare you, but, even that stuttering on the wedding/meeting date, can mark a discrepancy and they would send you a "intert to deny" for that!

Anyway, where did interview take place?

Tommy, man, what have you done wrong to be subject to such harsh interview?

I will reply your email soon...

Comment

Will it be possible for u, I am sure it will be, to let us have an idea how much time it actually take to come to the interview stage i.e Dates u married, filed 130 or complete package,received work auth, interview date etc etc. Of course most important which immigration office/center u filed. U said u have been together for two years, it is the period of married life or ur relationship before marriage. Any other info u think might help potential candidates in their interview. Thanks a lot. Congratulation again on succesfull interview. Was ur lawyer present at the time of interviw? If yes, did he contribute in the interview?
                        Do u recommend the presence of lawyer at the interview time, I mean, Is it worth to hire a lawyer for interviw?

Comment

Guestee,

Bro I am glad that your interview went well! Mine went well too, we provided with a stack of proof of a joint life..

Including reciepts of engagement rings we bought before I was picked up by the INS!

I was also told that I will be mailed a decission and my lawyer was sure that the interview went well and then I was sent the letter of denial in like two weeks!

So be ready for the worst! I will be praying for you bro and hope you dont have to go through appealing on the I-130!

Comment

My situation is not the same as normal processing, because I was in proceedings. Yes you are right Bushmaster about telling when approval comes--what I meant was when/if I hear something, I will post.

Still, it would seem if they had more questions, that or were not sure, why wouldn't they have interviewed us further? That doesn't make sense. I would have thought if they were questioning things, they would have given us a chance to respond. But who knows with the govt??

Our timeline is different because of proceedings. We dated for 1 year, got engaged. In meantime, my visa expired, which we didn't think would be a prob. because of marrying USC. But then came special reg. We moved up our wedding, got married in Dec. of '02, but couldn't file all papers without the wedding cert. from state. Went for reg. Got NTA for overstaying visa. Filed I-130 at CSC in Jan. got notice for Master Calender Hearing for March. Attorney recommended to file another I-130 with local office because she said that a judge told her that they would want to interview us anyway, and it would take forever to transfer case. Besides, a judge had told her that they might think we filed at the service center to avoid an interview.

So we filed papers, including the required proofs of marriage. (My wife, who is a graduate student, completed a very comprehensive and neat file for them--even the officer mentioned it. At hearing, the judge gave us another Master calender hearing for 6 months later, to see if I-130 would be adjudicated. Meantime, we were sent letter for the I-130 interview in April, interview was for May. Just went for the interview, which was seemed like the standard interview that friends of ours (not in proceedings) had when they went for AOS (she is USC, he is a Brit, was here on work visa).

So now we wait for a notice either way. Our attorney said if we receive it enough ahead of next hearing, and it's positive, she will ask the judge to move straight to the merits hearing, where I hope to adjust status.

That is our timeline, which everyone (attorney as well as INS officer) said was highly unusual in its speed. Perhaps they moved special reg. applicants through faster to get them out, if they don't qualify. Perhaps our documentation was just really strong, so they didn't see a problem. Perhaps it is just a fluke

Comment

Tommy--
                              Did they say why they denied you? It sounds like you had similar stuff as us. If they are so sure they want to deny, maybe they didn't feel like going through the whole process of questioning, given that it was Friday afternoon and all! Oh well. I had to think positive, but I'm an optimist. So maybe, if my denial comes, I hope it comes fast. What does the denial say? How do you appeal these, I mean, what do you possibly have to show them then?

Our attorney told us that she's had so many cases which were so much weaker than ours, and they were all approved. She's a pro bono lawyer, so it isn't like she had to convince us, besides, my wife prepared all paperwork, we just had her with us to protect our rights and speak for us in court. Okay, now I'm freaking out because of your post! I guess it is just the waiting game again..

Comment

Working...
                              X