Fake SSN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake SSN

My wife has a pending adjustment of status case, but can't work in the meantime. We have a child, and I took a job with a fake SSN. Taxes are withheld, but I never file a tax return so I let the govt keep my refund. My job gave me a letter questioning my SSN. Is there a way I can go straight and honest and get a SSN and pay taxes in legally without this immediately alerting me with INS? Do they have some kind of amnesty program for this?

My wife has a pending adjustment of status case, but can't work in the meantime. We have a child, and I took a job with a fake SSN. Taxes are withheld, but I never file a tax return so I let the govt keep my refund. My job gave me a letter questioning my SSN. Is there a way I can go straight and honest and get a SSN and pay taxes in legally without this immediately alerting me with INS? Do they have some kind of amnesty program for this?

Comment

I forgot to say that I applied for a permit but was turned down.

Comment

What about applying for an ITIN - individual taxpayer identification number - this number is for taxpaying purposes only and has nothing to do with your right to live and work here. I honestly don't know what you need to get one, but check the INS website for info. I know folks who have these.

Comment

Social Security Office is mailing unmatched SS numbers, that's why you get the letter. How is your wife adjusting her status? Did you consult a lawyer? Just a warning, any fraud you are committing may cause you big trouble in the future.

Comment

That's what I was wondering, is it already too late for me to fix this and to go straight, and should I bury this as deep as I can, or maybe there is something I can do to be legit with my tax number even if I'm not legit yet to work?

Comment

....want to go straight....please be aware that your username can well be thought as a desire from your part to be heterosexual in case you are homosexual....of course if you think yourself to be gay (better not in America LOL)

Comment

I never thought of that

Comment

.....want to be legit....does this mean you are illegit?

Comment

I agree with guest. Look into a TIN number...

Comment

Ok, I think I understand now, I'm dealing with 2 different things here,

1. I can legally get an ITIN to be straight with my job, but

2. This is another illegal act that could make it worse with INS.

Right?

Comment

faker, r u the 'straight' dude?

The answer to faker's question is no.

Comment

my info isn't perfect on this, but my understanding is that the TIN number is a legitimate number and is perfectly fine to use especially for paying taxes and the type.

However, you may or may not be eligible for employment with one. YOu would have to look into the specifics for how this works. I think that non-residents with work visas use TIN as well as numerous people without visa.

But I can't see how having a TIN could hurt you (especially since it is the US gov't that would give it to you.

Comment

So whether or not it allows you to work. It will allow you to "go straight" and to pay taxes. At this point it is unlikely to notify the INS (From my understanding...)

Comment

800,000 notices were sent out by SS where numbers didn't match info. They are in the process of tracking these down. Since you have the letter, you know what it says. It has personal information on it from their database. You are expected to respond. They might schedule an interview. They are looking for fraud. Did you answer the notice yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X