Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My H-1 visa

Hi all,

The INS had recently approved the 8th year extension of my H-1 visa under AC21, since my I-485, which was filed on 11/13/01, is still pending approval.

Subsequently, I had traveled to India on my Advance Parole to get married.

When my wife and I visited the US Consulate in Bombay to get my H-1 visa for my wife's H-4 visa, the Consular Officer refused to grant it on the grounds that I had exceeded the maximum period of stay under H-1 status, which according to him is 7 years.

The Officer did not issue a formal letter of refusal but kept our case pending under Section 221(g).

When we re-appeared before the Officer with a brief from my employer's lawyer explaining the provisions of AC21, which entitle me to obtain an H-1 visa, he refused once again to grant my visa and:
    1. issued a formal letter of refusal in which he wrote the same reason he had orally stated the first time,
    2. retained a photocopy of the I-797 Notice of Action for the first H-1 petition on the basis of which I had joined my employer,
    3. informed us that the pending case would now be
    transferred to the INS Vermont Center with a request by the Consulate for review and possible revocation of my H-1 status.

Given the above, could writing to the State Department, the Consulate, and the INS possibly resolve this issue?

Hi all,

The INS had recently approved the 8th year extension of my H-1 visa under AC21, since my I-485, which was filed on 11/13/01, is still pending approval.

Subsequently, I had traveled to India on my Advance Parole to get married.

When my wife and I visited the US Consulate in Bombay to get my H-1 visa for my wife's H-4 visa, the Consular Officer refused to grant it on the grounds that I had exceeded the maximum period of stay under H-1 status, which according to him is 7 years.

The Officer did not issue a formal letter of refusal but kept our case pending under Section 221(g).

When we re-appeared before the Officer with a brief from my employer's lawyer explaining the provisions of AC21, which entitle me to obtain an H-1 visa, he refused once again to grant my visa and:
    1. issued a formal letter of refusal in which he wrote the same reason he had orally stated the first time,
    2. retained a photocopy of the I-797 Notice of Action for the first H-1 petition on the basis of which I had joined my employer,
    3. informed us that the pending case would now be
    transferred to the INS Vermont Center with a request by the Consulate for review and possible revocation of my H-1 status.

Given the above, could writing to the State Department, the Consulate, and the INS possibly resolve this issue?

Comment

Working...
    X