Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FBI name Check and Oath Delays

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FBI name Check and Oath Delays

    Background on security checks:
    USCIS advises that, for most of the adjustment of status, there are three checks (other than IBIS) that must be completed: a fingerprint check with FBI (which looks for arrests and convictions), a name check with FBI (which looks for whether the person is or has been under investigation), and a name check with the CIA (which looks for "adverse information"). According to USCIS, all these three checks are usually completed within 48 hours.
    The FBI name checks, however, can be a problem for all types of adjustment cases. In these checks, the USCIS sends a tape containing the names, dates of birth, and countries of birth of adjustment applicants. In December 2002, USCIS sent 3.2 million names to the FBI for clearance. Of those, about 60,000 are still pending. In addition, USCIS sends a tape to FBI once a week with new names. Of these, some 80% are usually cleared within 72 hours. The remaining 20% go into a triage process. If the information regarding name, DOB and/or COB is far a field of that information regarding the individual identified in the "hit", the clearance will usually be sent back to USCIS the next week. If these factors are closer to the "hit" information, the physical file will have to be retrieved from wherever it is (storage, FBI field office, etc.) and inspected. This is where the lengthy delays tend to occur. The CIA name checks also present a problem, mostly because the information received as a result of these checks tends to be less than definitive, and the impact on the immigration application therefore unclear. CIA generally responds to name check requests within 60 days, and has agreed to expedite up to 500 per week (but has been known to expedite more).

  • #2
    Background on security checks:
    USCIS advises that, for most of the adjustment of status, there are three checks (other than IBIS) that must be completed: a fingerprint check with FBI (which looks for arrests and convictions), a name check with FBI (which looks for whether the person is or has been under investigation), and a name check with the CIA (which looks for "adverse information"). According to USCIS, all these three checks are usually completed within 48 hours.
    The FBI name checks, however, can be a problem for all types of adjustment cases. In these checks, the USCIS sends a tape containing the names, dates of birth, and countries of birth of adjustment applicants. In December 2002, USCIS sent 3.2 million names to the FBI for clearance. Of those, about 60,000 are still pending. In addition, USCIS sends a tape to FBI once a week with new names. Of these, some 80% are usually cleared within 72 hours. The remaining 20% go into a triage process. If the information regarding name, DOB and/or COB is far a field of that information regarding the individual identified in the "hit", the clearance will usually be sent back to USCIS the next week. If these factors are closer to the "hit" information, the physical file will have to be retrieved from wherever it is (storage, FBI field office, etc.) and inspected. This is where the lengthy delays tend to occur. The CIA name checks also present a problem, mostly because the information received as a result of these checks tends to be less than definitive, and the impact on the immigration application therefore unclear. CIA generally responds to name check requests within 60 days, and has agreed to expedite up to 500 per week (but has been known to expedite more).

    Comment


    • #3
      i was supposed to be sworn in on december 5,2002 it was cancelled at the last moment i have been waiting foar a new ceremony noticce to come in the mail but so far nothing i'm still waiting

      Comment



      Working...
      X