What do they know about me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do they know about me?

Just out of curiosity (I don't anticipate any problems in future, as I haven't lied, etc.): I was just refused entry to the US (couldn't prove strong enough ties to Canada, especially since I have a US boyfriend) and was wondering what records the INS keeps on me. They're always going into the back and photocopying things, looking up or typing mysterious things into computers... What information about me do they have access to, and after they're done with me, what new information is available next time? Will I be "flagged" and questioned every time I try to enter the country? It always bothers me so much how little information about what's going on they seem willing to give me at the border. I've been refused before (the official didn't think I had enough cash on me for the length of my stay -- now I always bring much more than I need!), and the guy behind the desk seemed pretty inconvenienced just to tell me why I wouldn't be let in...

Apart from all of that -- being a 20-year-old student, does anyone have suggestions as to how I could make a stronger case for showing an intent to return to Canada? I still live with my mother, so I can't show them proper "evidence of foreign residence" and I don't have a permanent job (I work occassionally for my mother, and do web design work -- all I need to do to get by). School doesn't help me, since it's by correspondence. Am I hopless unless I buy my own place or get married? Guh. They don't seem to consider that I'm young. Am I meant to have a career by now? This is one case where I wish they DID have mind reading devices -- to know that I'm telling the truth. The part that bugs me is that had I lied about my situation, I most likely could have gotten through.

Just out of curiosity (I don't anticipate any problems in future, as I haven't lied, etc.): I was just refused entry to the US (couldn't prove strong enough ties to Canada, especially since I have a US boyfriend) and was wondering what records the INS keeps on me. They're always going into the back and photocopying things, looking up or typing mysterious things into computers... What information about me do they have access to, and after they're done with me, what new information is available next time? Will I be "flagged" and questioned every time I try to enter the country? It always bothers me so much how little information about what's going on they seem willing to give me at the border. I've been refused before (the official didn't think I had enough cash on me for the length of my stay -- now I always bring much more than I need!), and the guy behind the desk seemed pretty inconvenienced just to tell me why I wouldn't be let in...

Apart from all of that -- being a 20-year-old student, does anyone have suggestions as to how I could make a stronger case for showing an intent to return to Canada? I still live with my mother, so I can't show them proper "evidence of foreign residence" and I don't have a permanent job (I work occassionally for my mother, and do web design work -- all I need to do to get by). School doesn't help me, since it's by correspondence. Am I hopless unless I buy my own place or get married? Guh. They don't seem to consider that I'm young. Am I meant to have a career by now? This is one case where I wish they DID have mind reading devices -- to know that I'm telling the truth. The part that bugs me is that had I lied about my situation, I most likely could have gotten through.

Comment

It may sound surprising to you but Department of State (which handles US consulates) isn't as logical or organised as it may appear. Their system of refusal is rather random. In your case the US boyfriend definitely caused it, but if that weren't the case, one day your visa may have been refused and the next day approved. They will stamp your passport for rejection of visa. But as far as I know they do not refer to the computer, were you to apply the next time. However, if and when you do apply you must definitely tell them the truth about rejection.

My tourist visa was refused at a Mumbai counsulate in 1990 (as a 20-year old student) and approved in 1996. It is lot tougher to get a visa from Mumbai than Canada.

The second time I was smarter and worked hard on preparing my case as well as psychological makeup for the interview. I didn't disclose the fact that both my siblings were in the US. I was to visit US on an invitation from a friend for hiking. I am a genuine hiker, and produced photographs with my American hiker friends (genuine) and the invitation letter (concocted). In addition I had other facts on my side:
      health papers indicating my mother's heart condition
      property deed in my name
      letter certifying my employment
      passport showing more than a dozen countries I had visited

But most important was mental conditioning. I was relaxed and ready to answer any question they would throw at me. Don't lose heart.

Comment

Great, so you forged your way into the country...and let me guess, you never left!

Comment

USANY

That burns you up! Demogrpahics are against you!

Comment

Please try to spell big words correctly. As for the Canada chickie, every entry and exit into the USA is recorded in the system, as well as refusals/attempted entries. In addition, border patrol is beefing up security to prevent people from simply coming in and never leaving.

It doesn't burn me up. She will get caught. There are many Americans like me who report illegal aliens to the INS. Remember, you can run, but you can't hide.

Comment

USANY
              SINCE YOU HAVE NO USEFUL IMFORMATION TO ADD

Comment

He only fans the flames...

Comment

dear child... do you have any idea how many lives you could ruin by doing this? Doesn't something like separating families (or other loved ones) and possibly even starving people... just so you can have a power trip weigh on your mind?

Well, I won't trouble myself too much... I'll just let you face those questions on judgement day... because seriously.... it is a moral issue and your immature tattletale style can really hurt people!

As for you CTC - I agree with Sue. Just hang in there and be next time you try to cross... just watch what you say.

Comment

I seriously doubt that USANY and some others like him, believe in God... If they believed Him just a little bit, they would fear Him for what they are doing to people here...

Keep following the devil!!!

Comment

What is so wrong with following the rules?
                      I'm a USC....I'm not anti-immigration, but I AM against "beating the system!"
                      I don't agree with many laws our country has, but I obide by them because I don't want to suffer the consequences.
                      Does this mean I worship the devil too?
                      LOL

Comment

You may not worship the devil, but if you hurt living people for the sake of abstract laws. There will come a time when you will have to answer to somebody.

(This is especially pertinent if you believe in some form of God.)

Comment

If I was in your shoes I would get an Immigration Lawyer ASAP. US Immigration are difficult too deal with in this type of situation.
                          If you cannot afford a Lawyer approach the Catholic Church in your State, they sometimes help Families with US Immigration Problems.
                          The following Immigration Forms may be useful too you.
                          The I-690 Application for Waiver on grounds of excludabilty under section 245A or 210 of the immigration & nationality act.
                          Purpose of form:
                          Individuals who are inadmissable to the United States but have applied for legal residency under section 245A of the immigration & nationality act, May request a waiver of the grounds of excludability for humaniterian family unity or national interest reasons.
                          Where to file: The INS office with jurisdiction over your place of residency.
                          Filling fee $35.00

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/grahics/forms/i-690.htm

Comment

USANY is not turning people in because of abstract laws, he is turning people in because he is mean, cruel, vindictive, and obviously hurt so badly deep inside that he feels the need to destroy other people's lives - Good and kind people who should be allowed to be together.

So I have a question, if anyone would care to answer. Anyone with anything constructive to say that is. Ties to U.S. are too strong and you could not get a temporary visa? I assume this means that my fiance will never get a non-immigrant visa, as he has been displaced from Kuwait by Saddam Hussein, displaced from Brazil by its disasterous economy, and now displaced from the US... He will have his brothers there when he goes back to Brazil, and a job and residence, I'm sure (perhaps his own business again, if our loan to Brazil has helped matters there any). What if he faces a ten-year prison term if he DOESN'T go back to Brazil. Is that convincing enough?

I'm so tired of this And there are so many who have it so much worse.

CTG, How's Canada? Do you need any certified elementary school teachers? *crossing fingers* By the way, I think it was a good idea to plan a hiking trip with your friends

Comment

Actually, I am hurting nobody by obiding by the laws of this country. In fact, I met my fiancee while she was visiting here in the U.S., but she went back to her homeland so we could apply for a K-1 visa the LEGITIMATE way! Sure, we could have married and adjusted status, but that's not exactly the way the INS wants things done. Personally, I think I have more integrity by doing things the proper way.
                              Yes, I will answer to someone, and I believe that by doing things the RIGHT WAY will help me out. If you're in favor of picking and choosing which laws you want to obide by, then I'd be a little concerned about myself, and not other people's judgement day! Do you pick and choose which theological commandments you want to obide by too?
                              Jeepers!

Comment

Working...
                              X