Meaning of term "sleeper"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meaning of term "sleeper"

THe term "sleeper" was used by an INS officer..
    I believe was referring to those of muslim
    background....mostly after the sept. 11th happening....it seems that INS is making a list
    of arabs, etc...in this country...that have
    gotten married. A sleeper seems to be one
    that may be possibly watched for one thing or
    another....

has anyone else heard this term used? Maybe
    I am wrong in the meaning.

THe term "sleeper" was used by an INS officer..
    I believe was referring to those of muslim
    background....mostly after the sept. 11th happening....it seems that INS is making a list
    of arabs, etc...in this country...that have
    gotten married. A sleeper seems to be one
    that may be possibly watched for one thing or
    another....

has anyone else heard this term used? Maybe
    I am wrong in the meaning.

Comment

yes nireehamdi. thats correct "Sleeper" was a post 9/11 codename term . It has been used to describe those who were part of that coalition. They were sometimes students, immigrants that got married and led normal lives until the call to duty would come.

Yea... they think all muslims are sleepers.

Where did you hear this about them making list of who got married etc.. Is this speculation or did you hear this from good outside source
      from within BCIS.

What BCIS officer used this term to who and how????

Comment

I was at a friend's house last night...tey also had a visit from the INS. INS during their visit....called several of our neighbors
        and family members...and just asked questions.
        ONe of my friend's neighbors said that one of
        the INS officers used this term....in conversation with the lady's husband.....we
        were just talking last night and she told me about this. It was the first time I had heard
        the term.

Comment

I hate the prejudices that people have in the
          world. I hate living with the INS around my shoulder..
          my husband and I both work...and have very
          nice jobs..he has been in this country for about 7 years.....I know him well, better than
          most....
          people who have prejudices against one people or another....their prejudice I believe is based on "TOTAL INGORANCE" and "NO KNOWLEDGE OF
          other cultures and people"....what's more they
          have "closed thoughts" in their heads and are
          not open to new ideas.....
          This is a sad state I believe.

Comment

wo.. what kind of a friend is that who didnt even bother to call u and tell u about the visit. Was this before your interview that they came or is this after your interview.
            Im curious. BCIS has done this in the past, however it has been very long time since I have heard of them doing this practice.
            I hope they did not alarm your neighbors by implying your husband is a sleeper!!! thats terrible to start having ur neighbors looking at you sideways.
            yes this is sad as you say. but you will be fine. So long as you two are happy , is all that matters. and there is nothing to worry about if you play by the rules

Keep your noses clean

Peace out

Comment

Yes,I knew that the INS has visited all our
              neighbors...even my son's apartment....we really had no problem with it at all. The INS
              also called on another friend and her husband..
              right around the same time. My friend was upset that I had gotten married and did not tell her...we just went and got married one weekend...which was fine with us. She didn't speak to me for awhile...but she seems to be okey now....she said she was upset....and worried about me...but now she sees that I am
              happy and fine....so she's okey with it....my
              husband and I are rather quiet and really we do
              not care what others say or do.....it is us that have to Float our boat....not anyone else... and we are doing just that!!!!

Comment

Sorry this was before our AOS interview...and ... in fact the visit was at about 1 year into our marriage......I am at
                a university where INS comes around often....
                so it really doesn't bother us....we have nothing to hide from anyone....

Comment

Working...
                X