Possible to renew re-entry permit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to renew re-entry permit?

I have a GC and prior to leaving the US to join my husband (US citizen) on his overseas assignment I applied and got a re-entry permit w/c expires May 2003. Since leaving, I have been back to the US several times but the last was July 2002 (more than 180 days ago). Is it possible to renew my re-entry permit ? If so, do I have to go the US to do it? On another note, if I do not go to the US prior to my re-entry permit expiration, can I still enter the US with my GC or do I need special documentation? Thanks!

I have a GC and prior to leaving the US to join my husband (US citizen) on his overseas assignment I applied and got a re-entry permit w/c expires May 2003. Since leaving, I have been back to the US several times but the last was July 2002 (more than 180 days ago). Is it possible to renew my re-entry permit ? If so, do I have to go the US to do it? On another note, if I do not go to the US prior to my re-entry permit expiration, can I still enter the US with my GC or do I need special documentation? Thanks!

Comment

may i ask you a question, i am in a similar situation - i became a LPR in 2001 and will accompany my husband on an assignment overseas for a couple of years. i have applied for a reentry permit but plan to come back every six months so i won't break the continuance requirement for citizenship. When you come back to the US, you just have to show you permit with your PR card right? do they give you a hard time for being gone a long time? so the permit serves as a "passport" which allows you to come into the U.S. right? I think I read some posts saying that they take the permit away when you first reenter and it got me worried. please give me some advice, thanks alot

Comment

Working...
      X