Question for those who went trough an AOS interview through marriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those who went trough an AOS interview through marriage

My question is. In the letter it says to bring various documents. Is this for the applicant or for the petitioner too? i.e. copies of divorce papers, marriage certificate, driver's license, etc?

Also, I have changed my place of employment from the time we filed documents with Affidavit of Support. Should I bring a letter from my new employer stating how much money I am making?

My husband was under a different case before, do you think they will go into that too asking questions about that other case? Please take into consideration that we also have a child together.

Thank you to those who can respond with worth while answers.

My question is. In the letter it says to bring various documents. Is this for the applicant or for the petitioner too? i.e. copies of divorce papers, marriage certificate, driver's license, etc?

Also, I have changed my place of employment from the time we filed documents with Affidavit of Support. Should I bring a letter from my new employer stating how much money I am making?

My husband was under a different case before, do you think they will go into that too asking questions about that other case? Please take into consideration that we also have a child together.

Thank you to those who can respond with worth while answers.

Comment

it is for both. you will need to bring original marriage cert etc. you submitted copies when you filed.

Yes you will need new letter stating income etc. for I-864.

I assume your husband was previously marriage based AOS that did not complete. Did he havee a pending I751? or had he fallen out of status due to divorce.

Comment

Hey the simple rule with these interviews is CARRY AS MUCH DOCUMENTS AS POSSIBLE.

They probably wont ask for most of the documents you will carry, but you just dont know what they will ask for.

Think of all possibilities that anyone can ask about a marriage.ANYTHING. If your husband has a past situation with BCIS, bring documents and anything that explains that previous situation.

In short, think wild about the MOST THEY COULD ASK FOR, and BRING IT with you.

If you have originals to ANYTHING, bring 2 copies as well. They may need to keep a copy for their file.

From what I saw in the interview, these people are just looking for something to keep in your file to show that they were convinced that they made a correct decision if someone comes later and asks why they admitted you to PR.

And they way those people work is if they ask you for the first 3 documents or questions and you come out clean, you are OK but if they keep missing everything they ask for, they will start looking deeper.

In short therefore, have EVERYTHING YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON.Dont start reasoning what you need to carry and what you need to leave-CARRY EVERYTHING, your car titles, licenses, marriage licenses, SS cards, photos, leases/other living arrangements,if you have a baby, bring that baby to the interview even if it is one hour old, letters from your and husband job showing date of hire, money you make, what you do etc, schools if you have any;I even took our credit reports to show we live at same address, bank statements, bunch of mail and emails sent to the couple at your same address,life, medical, and auto insurance policies and/or insurance cards,I got a letter from my pharmacy showing same address for the prescriptions we have filled at the pharmacy,credit card statements,wedding photos if any, and if not, just have an explanation why you did not have one eg that your were saving to buy eg a house etc.
        Bottomline is bring your whole marriage life to the table.

I hope this helped.

Comment

I am so glad to read that we should take anything and everything that may or may not be asked for. I was beginning to think I was crazy. We still have a ways to go before our interview, but I have already made a box with anything and everything.

Comment

Hello there,

I just went for my interview on December 1st. And my husband and I walked in with a huge black hard filecase filled with documents. We had family cards, marriage/anniversary cards and any joint reciepts. IE: mortgage, life insurance,house additions,car insurance and any other bills in joint names.
            We also had a big bag full of 4 photo al***s full of wedding and honeymoon pictures.
            And she was impressed that we had it all but did not look at one stitch of it. In fact, we didn't even open it up at all. It stayed on the floor in the corner.
            The only thing we showed was our DL and SS# and that was it.
            But.....the fact was she knew we were prepared if needed and hads lots of info to back it up so bring as much as you can physically carry.
            Good Luck!!!!

Comment

In other words, if they know you can show proof of everything they won't even bother. My mom always says it better to be prepared than to not be and have to spend more time later.

Comment

Thank you all!!!!!!1

If I was the immigration officer, I would be convinced just by seeing the birth certificate of our baby daughter and pictures of her birth

And to: "4now" No, my husband didn't file papers through his previous marriage, but he had a case through his H1B, which he abandoned after we got married and after our daughter was born.

Comment

We did the same as Martha, we had two backpacks worth of paperwork, photo's alb u m s, etc. All I had was mail for our proof of residency, and the bills weren't even in our names. I had just gotten the lease in my name that month.

Com2, don't even worry, you guys have a baby, you'll be fine. What better proof is that? However, it is IMPERATIVE you take all paperwork and photo's.
                  Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

If he is from H1, what did he put on the form for the blank space that asked, "status of Alien while entering US" for AOS application.

Anyway as others said, bring any proof that have names of you together. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you all for your information and feedback!

to answer "Me2", if I remember it correctly he put exactly what he was when entering the U.S. He was a tourist and then got his H1B.

Comment

Working...
                      X