Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USC: I-130 Visa Filing in Foreign Consulate vs Filing in US.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USC: I-130 Visa Filing in Foreign Consulate vs Filing in US.

A real specific question....

Has anyone had any experience filing an I-130 in a foreign consulate, specifically regarding processing time??

I'm in Mexico, a USC, and I filed an I-130 on behalf of my new wife TODAY. The INS official told me the whole process would take 3-4 months to get the Visa. When I questioned about the 1-1.5 year processing time in the US, he said filing in Mexico, with the consulate, would save us several months of waiting....the process will be expedited

Regardless, I'm going to file for a K-3 as soon as I receive my acknowledgemnt on the I-130.

Given what I've read, I question if this is accurate and would love to hear from other USC who may have filed in foreign consulates.

A real specific question....

Has anyone had any experience filing an I-130 in a foreign consulate, specifically regarding processing time??

I'm in Mexico, a USC, and I filed an I-130 on behalf of my new wife TODAY. The INS official told me the whole process would take 3-4 months to get the Visa. When I questioned about the 1-1.5 year processing time in the US, he said filing in Mexico, with the consulate, would save us several months of waiting....the process will be expedited

Regardless, I'm going to file for a K-3 as soon as I receive my acknowledgemnt on the I-130.

Given what I've read, I question if this is accurate and would love to hear from other USC who may have filed in foreign consulates.

Comment

yes, it's a lot faster to file I-130 at foreign consulate. Plus, you're lucky to be able to file there because not all consulates allow this. Don't miss this chance!

Comment

It is much faster at the consulate. The 3-4 months in Mexico is likely due to their workload, but is much faster than 18 months at INS.

The K-3 processing time is virtually identical to the I 130 at the consulate...might as well save a step and file the I 130

Comment

Working...
        X