Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 Workers Arrested At 61 Walmart Stores

DHS arrested 300 workers in Walmart stores in 21 states today after conducting an investigation into contractor cleaning crews. The operation, known as "Operation Rollback" alleges that a contractor illegally recruited undocumented workers, primarily from Eastern Europe, to clean Walmart stores across the US.

Stay tuned!

DHS arrested 300 workers in Walmart stores in 21 states today after conducting an investigation into contractor cleaning crews. The operation, known as "Operation Rollback" alleges that a contractor illegally recruited undocumented workers, primarily from Eastern Europe, to clean Walmart stores across the US.

Stay tuned!

Comment

This is crazy! I see they waited until they were done cleaning. What a-holes! I bet they wont ever see the pay either. I wish them the best of luck

Comment

This is a HORRIBLE story, I don't know why they don't do the same type of operations to catch all the drug dealers that freely sell drugs and commit crimes on the corners of the major cities of this country.

Instead, they spend 4 years to catch 300 undocumented aliens whose crime was going to work to earn their lifes.

This also is going to bring terrible consequences. Now more and more business will be reluctuant to hire undocumented and this is not going to solve the illegal immigration issue nor the national security.

I feel so bad for all those people and their families and I hope God bless them whatever their destiny will be.

Comment

This what you bring to my country, get used to the busts, there will be more, we are P>I.S.S.E.D.O.F.F. and will not take this anymore get it.

According to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, about 65 percent of the cocaine and most of the marijuana that enters this country comes from Mexico. In just one week last December, a San Diego radio station reported that U.S. agents caught Mexicans driving a van with 5,989 pounds of marijuana valued at $2.7 million, a produce truck with 8,596 pounds of marijuana, an sports utility vehicle overloaded with a 1,000-pound haul of marijuana, a big rig carrying a ton of marijuana, and $213,000 worth of marijuana coming over a mobile ramp system built to drive vehicles over a border fence and directly into the United States.
          Border Patrol agents in south Texas caught 22 illegal aliens from Mexico, Honduras and El Salvador transporting 1,700 pounds of marijuana worth $1.25 million. Drug investigators have discovered three tunnels and a fourth under construction at the U.S.-Mexico border at Nogales, Mexico.
          Hundreds of drug traffickers have flooded into North Carolina. In 1995, only 10 Hispanics were in state prisons for drug trafficking convictions, but the number has now risen to 400.
          It should be no surprise that the combination of clusters of illegal aliens and the persistence of illegal drugs has increased the crime rate. Arizona police report that 60 percent of the homicides in Phoenix involve Mexicans mixed up in smuggling drugs and people, Tucson's crime rate has grown 12 times the national average, and a vehicle is stolen in Arizona every 10 minutes.
          City gangs are a big problem in many states, and gangs have invaded the suburbs, too. The worst city gang is thought to be MS-13, a ruthless Salvadoran gang that has spread to at least 28 states including Massachusetts.
          The deserts and the national parks have become favorite routes for the entry of illegal aliens. Last year, 200,000 illegal aliens were caught sneaking into the United States through the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument in southern Arizona, and 700,000 pounds of illegal drugs were intercepted.
          Two armed Mexicans, who had killed four men in a murder spree over drugs, crossed into the Arizona state park on Aug. 9, and three agents including National Park Service ranger Kris Eggle responded. One fugitive was captured but the other fled, and Eggle, who had been a cross-country runner, gave chase, was shot below his bulletproof vest and died in an ambulance.
          Where is any media or public outrage over this murder by an illegal alien on U.S. territory? One million illegal aliens are now entering our country each year.
          If a Mexican day laborer can sneak across our border, so can al-Qaeda terrorists. According to a Fox News poll, 79 percent of Americans support using the military to help secure U.S. borders.

Comment

Acelaw:

1) I don't bring anybody to this country, and this is NOT your country you don't own it, you are a citizen [I am assuming you are].

2) I fully agree that drug trafickers and criminal aliens must be deported and jailed, however this undocumented aliens that were employed by Walmart were not drug-trafficerks nor vandals from any sort of gang. They were only people that would go to work to earn a life for them and their families. That's why I pointed out why don't they make more of these raids to kick out or jailed americans that are either criminials/drug-traffickers/sexual abusers etc.

3) For your information Salvador nationals are here legally, TPS has been granted by them for a while, and it is ridiculous and senseless that this people instead of earning a life decently would go a form gans etc, however, the Govt. then should stop granting TPS for this individuals [again I am relying on your source]. However, TPS has been requested for a long time for Colombian Nationals. Those people really need TPS, there is major civil war that has been going on for over 30 years and that has caused thousands of lives.

Comment

To acelaw:

Looks like immigrants really piss you off ?
              Well ure forgetting this immigrants ar ethe ones who do most of the odd jobs that no american wanst to do. Remember that if it wernt for tehir hardwork in most of the farm lands then u will not be able to eat what you do today. And furthermore isn't america the land of immigrants. Ure ancestors i suppose are not from here. America originally belongs to the black indians. So with that said unless ure one then i suppose u are an immigrant ureself.
              What im saying is that every persons here is just trying to make a living after there countries have been brutally colonized by foregin countries and left with no resources to better themselves.

Im not arguing for any law breaker but we need to stop and realize what is the difference in backgrounds between ourselves and others.
              Its tough

Comment

good ol' acelaw!!

"This what you bring to my country, get used to the busts, there will be more, we are P>I.S.S.E.D.O.F.F. and will not take this anymore get it."

Wow, so pissed off ................ Ok, with the border the way it is and the BCIS the way it is, lets see, how many will enter the country illegaly the next two weeks??

I fail to see what your article has to do with the thread??? Oh, yeah, I forgot, you need to find a way to blame the Mexicans for everything.....

"According to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, about 65 percent of the cocaine and most of the marijuana that enters this country comes from Mexico."

Here we go again with your racist nonsense. The fact that most of the people "rounded" up were Eastern European means nothing to you acelaw. I knew somehow you'd be able to work in your singling out of Mexicans here, and I was right!!!

"Border Patrol agents in south Texas caught 22 illegal aliens from Mexico, Honduras and El Salvador transporting 1,700 pounds of marijuana worth $1.25 million."

AHA, so not all are Mexican!! Again, the vast majority of immigrants are not drug traffickers. I know I know, you're a fan of the old "hasty generalization." What was that?? A few bad apples spoil the bunch huh? I know, that is your motto.

"City gangs are a big problem in many states, and gangs have invaded the suburbs, too. The worst city gang is thought to be MS-13, a ruthless Salvadoran gang that has spread to at least 28 states including Massachusetts."

Are they legal or illegal? Or just because they are Hispanic, should I automatically assume they are illegal??

"The deserts and the national parks have become favorite routes for the entry of illegal aliens. Last year, 200,000 illegal aliens were caught sneaking into the United States through the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument in southern Arizona, and 700,000 pounds of illegal drugs were intercepted."

Good job Border Patrol!!

"Where is any media or public outrage over this murder by an illegal alien on U.S. territory?"

People are murdered everyday.............not all are done by immigrants.

"One million illegal aliens are now entering our country each year."

So, if it takes lengthy investigations and time to arrest 300, how long will it take to get rid of the estimated 8-13 million already here, with one million entering yearly???

"If a Mexican day laborer can sneak across our border, so can al-Qaeda terrorists. According to a Fox News poll, 79 percent of Americans support using the military to help secure U.S. borders."

Stronger borders are needed.............

Comment

This did not appear to be a sting operation against the aliens from what I have read. Rather, it was a sting against Walmart. Everyone knows this subcontract agencies are using illegals to work . The contracting company is not taking responsibility for the undocumented worker. The government is trying to make a claim against Walmart for this and will probably lose. If you read. only the aliens that had warrants, etc. were detained. the rest were let go. Now surely this could have been worse for the undocumented aliens. they all could have been retained but they were not. They were lucky. Better to be without a weeks pay than to have been detained and deported.

Comment

aguila18

1) I don't bring anybody to this country, and this is NOT your country you don't own it, you are a citizen [I am assuming you are].

aguila18

You do not have a clue do you, who do you think owns this country, WE THE CITIZENS,LEGAL CITIZENS , That is the way our Constitution , Bill of Rights are set up for, but you have not taken the time to learn our country. , FOR THE PEOPLE BY THE PEOPLE,I bet you do not even know what that preamble is to ,do you? Of course not as your ridiculous statement shows.

) I fully agree that drug trafickers and criminal aliens must be deported and jailed, however this undocumented aliens that were employed by Walmart were not drug-trafficerks nor vandals from any sort of gang. They were only people that would go to work to earn a life for them and their families. That's why I pointed out why don't they make more of these raids to kick out or jailed americans that are either criminials/drug-traffickers/sexual abusers etc.

So we are to take the good with the bad, RIGHT, that's why we have laws to screen the bad out, but you only like our laws when they fit you, you point to other bad behavior to make yours OK, how low can you go , every nation has criminals ,so it ok to go there and be one too????You see how you cheapen everything with this logic, Johnny did it , so why can't I.Mikkie robbed a bank so it ok for me to do so.Jose came illegal so it ok for 8 million plus to disrespect our country, our laws , its citizens and cause then economic hardships on hard working USC , RIGHT!!!!!!

3) For your information Salvador nationals are here legally, TPS has been granted by them for a while, and it is ridiculous and senseless that this people instead of earning a life decently would go a form gans etc, however, the Govt. then should stop granting TPS for this individuals [again I am relying on your source]. However, TPS has been requested for a long time for Colombian Nationals. Those people really need TPS, there is major civil war that has been going on for over 30 years and that has caused thousands of lives.

I agree whole heartily that there is more deserving people who we need to help , but you promote illegal entry , WELL we can only take in so many, the folks who really needed help will not get it because 8 million plus have cut the line and put our system in disarray,
                    We the People decide who and how many can come here that is our from of government, since 1965 we raised legal immigration to this country, it now stands at 1.6 million per YEAR, we have taken in 30 million from 3 world countries, name another nation that has done this , for comparison ,this means all the population of South American is here now.As you can see it costs us taxpayers money to do this, no problem if its legal;, otherwise why don't you just give your bank account number so I can empty it against your will, GET IT

VDARE.COM - http://www.vdare.com/rubenstein/policy_cost.htm

October 21, 2003

National Data, By Edwin S. Rubenstein
                    Immigration Policy Costing American Workers $2,600 A Year
                    A reader recently wrote us:

"Imagine my tremendous consternation at being caught, even after having read Alien Nation, by this dinner line:

"˜Our economy is better off with immigrants. They do the jobs nobody else wants to do.'

"No, I said to the last part. They just underbid.

"But I couldn't address the first part, maybe because it's so large and unsubstantiated a claim. I just mentioned such things as: the shutdown of public hospitals in Los Angeles, welfare, crime, etc.

"Do you know of anyone with a statistical answer to the challenge, ˜America is better off economically with the immigrants'?"

Statistical answer: surprisingly, this is actually one of the best-established findings in immigration economics"”albeit the least publicized.

The 1995 findings of Harvard economist George Borjas [George Borjas, "The Economic Benefits from Immigration," Journal of Economic Perspectives, Spring 1995] were confirmed by the National Research Council's 1997 report The New Americans: essentially all the increase in Gross Domestic product [GDP] brought about by immigration is captured by the immigrants themselves, in the form of wages. Virtually no benefit accrues to native-born Americans.

(And once transfer payments like welfare, education and healthcare are factored in, immigration becomes a net cost"”for example, over $1,000 in annual extra taxes per native-born household in California. Americans are financing their own dispossession.)

Even less publicized: the Borjas model reveals the true economic consequence of immigration: a massive redistribution of wealth within the American native-born community"”basically, from labor to capital, because of immigration's impact on wages.

The key variable: the rate at which native-born wages fall as the total number of workers rises"”the so-called "price elasticity" of labor. Borjas estimates that each 10% increase in immigrant workers reduces native wages by about 3.5%. About 14% of employed workers in 2002 were immigrants. So the reduction in native wages attributable to immigrants that year was approximately 4.9% (35% of 14%).

As our reader told his dinner companions, it's true that immigrants don't do work Americans won't do"”they just do it for less.

But, more importantly, immigrants do indeed do one dirty job: make it easier for Americans to exploit each other.

I've recalculated this immigration impact on the basis of the latest government data. This is how it came out:

Net economic gain from the immigrant presence to native-born Americans, before transfer payments: just 0.2 percent of GDP (that is, two-tenth of one percent!) in today's 10.4 trillion economy -- that comes to a mere $84 per native-born American.

Native-born capital-owners' gain as a result of immigration: about 3.1% of GDP, or $323.8 billion. This goes to employers and, for example, upper-income owners of stocks and employers of servants.

Native-born workers' loss as a result of immigration: about 2.9% of GDP "”$302.9 billion in a $10.4 trillion economy, or a remarkable $2,578 for each native-born worker every year.

Remember, these are averages. Unskilled native workers lose far more than the 4.9% average wage loss. Black Americans in particular are big losers. But recent research shows that even college graduates, once thought immune to immigrant competition, face wage reductions. [See: George Borjas, "The Labor Demand Curve is Downward Sloping: Reexamining the Impact of Immigration in the Labor Market," NBER, June 2003.]

There are far fewer owners of capital than there are workers in the U.S. The economic benefits of immigration are concentrated in the elite. The losses widely dispersed among ordinary Americans.

That's why the politics of immigration are so difficult"”and why you've only seen this finding, although it's the consensus among academic economists, reported in VDARE.COM.

[Number fans click here for table.]

Edwin S. Rubenstein (email him) is President of ESR Research Economic Consultants in Indianapolis.

akpcat
                    posted October 25, 2003 03:40 PM
                    To acelaw:

Looks like immigrants really piss you off ?
                    Well ure forgetting this immigrants ar ethe ones who do most of the odd jobs that no american wanst to do. Remember that if it wernt for tehir hardwork in most of the farm lands then u will not be able to eat what you do today. And furthermore isn't america the land of immigrants. Ure ancestors i suppose are not from here. America originally belongs to the black indians. So with that said unless ure one then i suppose u are an immigrant ureself.

That is an old tried reason that is not true, where were you in the 70s and early 80's before all this started , jobs got done at a wage you could live on, and explian how 30 billion a year of our wages is sent out of this coutry is THIS GOOD FOR OUR COUNTRY????

What im saying is that every persons here is just trying to make a living after there countries have been brutally colonized by foregin countries and left with no resources to better themselves.

Im not arguing for any law breaker but we need to stop and realize what is the difference in backgrounds between ourselves and others.
                    Its tough
                    So USC should bear the costs of this, RIGHT, it's our problem RIGHT.we USC are responible for this ?????

Unemployment – Hispanic Immigrants Gain, American Workers Lose
                    After 7 down months, employment finally went up in September. But the 57,000 job increase was not enough to reduce the unemployment rate. It held steady at 6.1%.

Why the disconnect? Needless to say, the Establishment media didn't mention immigration. But, as in reporting the poverty rate announcement a few days earlier, one Big Foot newspaper inadvertently stubbed its toe on the real story:

"But the increase in jobs was not large enough to match the growth in the population, and the percentage of adults with jobs fell to the lowest level in 10 years... Employment must grow by roughly 150,000 to 200,000 jobs each month to keep pace with the population." [VDARE.COM emphasis] [David Leonhardt, "Employment Rises for the First Time in Seven Months," New York Times, October 4, 2003.]

Is keeping pace with the population such a problem? Absolutely. The working-age population (16 years and older) expanded by 7.9 million between 2000 and 2002. Immigrants accounted for nearly half (48%) of that growth. The foreign-born working age population grew by 13.5% in this two-year period - about 6-times faster than the U.S.-born working-age population (2.3% growth).

There are no monthly figures on immigrant employment. But Hispanics are a good proxy. About 40% of Hispanics are immigrants. That contrasts with just 4% of non-Hispanic Whites and 6% of Blacks. In recent years nearly three-quarters of immigrant population growth was Hispanic.

Immigration has helped push the number of working-age Hispanics up by 3.0% in just the first three months of this year. By comparison, the number of working-age Whites increased by less than one-quarter the Hispanic growth rate (by 0.7%). Blacks increased by less than half the Hispanic rate (by 1.2%).

So how do these population growth factors play out in a generally bleak labor market?

The answer is stark: Hispanics are crowding out the traditional American racial groups. The number of employed Hispanics rose 293,000, or 1.7% in the first nine months of 2003 – their propensity to get work exceeded their rapid population growth. Black employment also rose, but not fast enough to absorb new Black entrants into the labor force. White employment actually fell.

As a result, between January and September 2003 (dates chosen to ensure consistent categories):

The Hispanic unemployment rate FELL by 0.3 percentage points, to 7.5%

The Black unemployment rate ROSE by 0.9 percentage points, to 11.2%

The White unemployment rate ROSE by 0.2 percentage points, to 5.3%

Overall the unemployment rate rose 0.4 % percentage points, from 5.7% to 6.1%, during that time.

The obvious reason Hispanics crowd out the traditional American racial groups: they work for less. Recent research shows that occupations in which new Hispanic immigrants account for a quarter of the workforce pay as much as 11% less than those where there are no new Latino men. [Source: Eduardo Porter, "Hispanic Newcomers Damp Wages," Wall Street Journal, August 19, 2003]

In effect, it appears that the government has decided to use immigration policy to attack American workers on behalf of employers. And in the process, of course, it is electing a new people.

Whatever the politics of this, the economic conclusion is inescapable: Hispanic immigrants are displacing low-skilled Blacks and Whites.

For a table of Employment Data by Race and Hispanic Origin, January-September 2003, click here.

Edwin S. Rubenstein (email him) is President of ESR Research Economic Consultants in Indianapolis.

[This message was edited by acelaw on October 26, 2003 at 12:14 PM.]

Comment

acelaw:

Of course I know the citizens [there is no such a term for legal or illegal citizens, or either you are a citizen or not].

You DO NOT REPRESENT the 270 million that this country has, that's why I said is not your OWN.

I do not promote nor agree with ENTRY WITHOUT INSPECTION, but I ASSURE YOU that this 300 workers entered legally and overstay their visas.
                      Of course every nations has criminals and I have visited other countries in South America, but to be honest I never saw the things I see here, I attend classes in the Bronx, NY, and cannot believe the drug dealers sell drugs like if they were selling candys and the police does not do ANYTHING to get them arrested that's why is astounding upseting that they take 4 years on an investigation to arrest 300 people who were going to work and not to sell drugs, that is lamentable, I know that different law enforcement agencies have different missions, but in the end, you know what I mean.

There are many countries whose TPS is at this point understandable, the govt. should not still providing this status for nationals of countries that suffer a hurricane 3 years ago, and no to even speak about the CUBAN REFUGEE PROGRAM, which the President wants to modify to allow more refugees, that is all politics, but there are other countries like ARGENTINA/BRAZIL/COLOMBIA/URUGUAY whose economy has been devastated, whose education level is high however none of this program is granted to them.

Once again I do not promote illegal entry, I myself entry legally, and the only time I stay without status was while my applications for AOS were pending, but you have to understand how harsh are the conditions on those countries like Mexico were people PUT AT RISK THEIR LIFES FOR A BETTER ONE, the situation is so bad they prefer attempting to cross the border with chances of dying as to stay there, I don't know what you think, but that IS VERY DEEP.

And I am going to tell you something else is not immigrants fault that AMERICAN UNSKILLED WORKERS AND BLACK AMERICANS ARE BIG BUT BIG LOOSERS, IS THERE OWN, because they do not do anything to improve themselves like getting a college degree, if an undocumented would have the possibilites of financing education they would be skilled workers, and they would superate themselves and would make this country more powerful.
                      And thre reason why Hispanic unemployment fell is because we are more go getters than white and black americans are, and we do jobs that this two other groups won't do! and even if they were not here, this groups would not do those jobs anyway.

Comment

Aquilla. Shame on you. I am surprised at you. You are so politically incorrect on your last post. it is bad enough that there is race stereotyping within this country, Now as an outsider/alien you are now guilty also. I guess you really are american now. I suppose Condelessa Rice and Colin Powell, Oprah Winfrey just to name a few are big losers being black amercians and being put in the same category as unskilled workers

Comment

4now:

I hate steriotipazing but I was speaking in general terms. If you see in US History I think this is the first time an africoamerican has a powerful position as Colin Powell has or Condelessa Rice. I am not racist or anything like that I believe that we are equal, but some groups are very conformist and do not attempt to improve themselves to get better jobs/lives, and then some people like acelaw says that it is immmigrants fault, and that is so WRONG.
                          I am not an american citizen yet, but it was your fellow acelaw legal citizen how he calls himself that brought that sterotyping articles up.
                          Numbers are numbers and those numbers are real, I am never said that some groups are less intelligent or anything like that, I just pointed out that some groups don't move up because its their own choice and not because aliens take their jobs.

Comment

You DO NOT REPRESENT the 270 million that this country has, that's why I said is not your OWN.

Well this is what the other 270 million think of illegal immigration, legal immigration, you do not accept the facts of this even though they are clearly hurting this country and its citizens.

The same Roper poll found that a large majority (75%) supports strong laws to identify and deport illegal immigrants. Only 10% disagree with strict laws against the removal of illegal immigrants. The strongest supporters of tough measures against illegal immigrants are self-styled political moderates (78%), strongly religious (76%), whites (77%), Protestants (82%), and Midwesterners (85%). 76% of Democrats, 76% of Republicans, 78% of self-described middle-of-the-roaders, and 60% of Hispanics (English-speaking) also support tough laws against illegal immigrants.

AMERICANS HAVE SPOKEN:
                            Cut Back On Immigration
                            A national consensus on immigration is clear from the wide range of polls on the issue over the past several years: By overwhelming margins, Americans want to cut back drastically on immigration"”not bring in new immigrants or legalize those who are already here illegally.

Limiting immigration has the overwhelming support of most Americans, regardless of party affiliation or race.

HERE'S WHAT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT IMMIGRATION.

"¢ 65% of voters favor stopping all immigration into the U.S. during the war on terrorism. (Fox News/Opinion Dynamics poll, October 31-November 1, 2001)

"¢ 92% of voters favor "imposing stricter immigration and border crossing polices." (Fox News poll, September 19-20, 2001)

"¢ 84% of Americans support tighter restrictions on immigration. (McPheters & Company and Beta Research, November 2001)

"¢ 77% think the government is not doing enough "to control the border and to screen people allowed into the country." (Zogby International, September 15-16, 2001)

"¢ 85% strongly/somewhat agree "that enforcement of immigration laws and the border has been too lax and has made it easier for the terrorists to enter." (Zogby International, September 15-16, 2001)

"¢ 72% think that "a dramatic increase in resources devoted to border control and enforcement of immigration laws would help reduce the chances of future terrorist attacks." (Zogby International, September 15-16, 2001)

"¢ Six in ten Americans support reducing legal immigration levels. (CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll, October 2001)

"¢ 77% of respondents in a CNN poll opposed granting amnesty to illegal immigrants. (CNN, July 2001)
                            "¢ 53% of Americans said the number of legal immigrants allowed into the U.S. should be decreased. Only 6% wanted to see it increased. (Wirthlin Worldwide, June 1997)

"¢ 41% of Republicans and 45% of Democrats support stopping legal immigration altogether. (Gallup poll, October 2000)

"¢ 72% of Americans think immigration should be reduced, according to a Wall St. Journal/NBC December 1996 poll.

"¢ A Roper poll in January 1996 found that 83% of Americans favor a lower immigration level. 70% favor restricting immigration to less than 300,000 new immigrants a year (including 70% of Republicans, 73% of African-Americans, and 52% of Hispanics). Most want even larger cuts: 54% favor an immigration level of below 100,000 a year. 20% support no immigration at all.

"¢ The same Roper poll found that a large majority (75%) supports strong laws to identify and deport illegal immigrants. Only 10% disagree with strict laws against the removal of illegal immigrants. The strongest supporters of tough measures against illegal immigrants are self-styled political moderates (78%), strongly religious (76%), whites (77%), Protestants (82%), and Midwesterners (85%). 76% of Democrats, 76% of Republicans, 78% of self-described middle-of-the-roaders, and 60% of Hispanics (English-speaking) also support tough laws against illegal immigrants.

"¢ 52% of all Americans favor a five-year ban on all legal and illegal immigration to the U.S., including 54% of all Republicans and 48% of all Democrats. (Wall St. Journal/NBC, March 1996)

"¢ 50% favor a law that would stop all legal immigration into the U.S. for the next five years. (Gallup, April 1996)

"¢ 63% of Americans think immigration levels are too high, including 66% of Republicans and 60% of Democrats. (CBS News/New York Times, September 1995)

"¢ 62% of Americans think immigration levels should be decreased, 27% think the present levels should remain, and 12% say they should be increased. (CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll, July 1995)

HISPANIC ATTITUDES TOWARD IMMIGRATION

Some lawmakers are particularly concerned with the attitudes of Hispanics on the immigration issue. Polls show that Hispanic Americans, like all Americans, support cutbacks in immigration.

"¢ 89% of Hispanic Americans strongly support an immediate moratorium on immigration. 74% feel fewer immigrants should be allowed and stronger restrictions should be enforced. (Hispanic USA Research Group, June 1993)

"¢ Hispanics favor reducing immigration by a margin of 53% to 35% in Texas, 48% to 40% in New York, and 47% to 39% in Florida. Rudolfo de la Garza, a University of Texas at Austin professor and one of the directors of the study, said: "U.S born Mexican-Americans believe that they suffer a lower quality of services because of the excess demand on them generated by the immigrants." (Tomas Rivera Center, March 1996)

"¢ 43% of Hispanics nationwide think the government is not doing enough to stop illegal immigration. The more established Hispanics are in the United States, the more likely they are to think the government is not doing enough to curb illegal immigration. 37% of foreign-born Hispanics believe not enough is being done; that belief increases to 45% of first-generation Hispanics and half of second-generation Hispanics. (San Jose Mercury News, October 2000)

STATES

CALIFORNIA

"¢ 82% of Californians believe that the projected population growth during the next 20 years will make the state a less desirable place to live. Over 80% of California's growth is due to immigration. (Public Policy Institute of California, May 2001)

"¢ 50% of California voters oppose granting amnesty to illegal immigrants, versus 34% who favor it. (Zogby, April 2001)

COLORADO

"¢ 68% of Colorado voters say overpopulation is a major problem in Colorado. Only 2% of voters believe that the state needs to expand its population at all, yet the state is projected to increase its population by 67%, from 4.3 million today to 6.4 million in 25 years. 61% want the federal government to lower immigration levels to reduce the environmental impact and development pressures on communities across the nation. (Ridder/Braden, March 2001)

FLORIDA

"¢ 58% of Florida voters favor making legal immigration more difficult. 71% favor the U.S. government spending more time and money to prevent illegal immigration into the U.S., including more than 40% of Hispanics. (Miami Herald/St. Petersburg Times, October 1999)

"¢ 59% of Florida voters believe current immigration levels are too high. Almost two thirds (63%) of voters agree that "immigration levels are out of control and we need to reduce the number of immigrants we allow into the country." A majority of voters (52%) said they would be more likely to endorse a candidate who supported immigration reduction as part of his or her campaign. 76% feel that "Continued population growth is a threat to Florida's resource base, environmental health, and quality of life." (The Polling Company, September 1999)

GEORGIA

"¢ 69% believe that the quality of life in the state will deteriorate if current growth and population trends continue. 74% are concerned about the level of immigration to the U.S. 79% are specifically concerned about the level of immigration to Georgia. 61% oppose amnesty for illegal immigrants. (Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, July 2001)

IOWA

"¢ 62% of Iowans feel that the U.S. should lower its current level of immigration. 65% feel that a U.S. population of 400 million in 2050, as projected by the U.S. Census Bureau, is too large. (Personal Marketing Research, December 1999)

KANSAS

"¢ 86% of Kansans say levels of immigration into the U.S. are a "serious" or "very serious" problem. (Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, April 2001)

MARYLAND

"¢ 68% of Maryland voters are concerned about the current level of immigration to the state, and 58% want the federal government to lower immigration levels to reduce development pressures on the environment. 61% think overpopulation in Maryland is a major problem. (Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, July 2000)

"¢ Two-thirds of adults in rural southern Maryland say the place where they live is growing too fast. Frustration with crowded roads is mounting, and nearly two-thirds want strict new limits on development. (Washington Post poll, March 1998)

MICHIGAN

"¢ 52% of Michigan voters say legal immigration levels should be decreased, 41% say they should remain at present levels, and 4% say they should increase. (Hill Research Consultants, May 1997)

NEW JERSEY

"¢ 82% of New Jersey residents say that illegal immigration is an important problem facing the country. 39% say it is one of the most important problems. (Asbury Park Press/Home News & Tribune, January 1996)

TEXAS

"¢ 82% of Texans see illegal immigration as a serious problem (including 86% of Caucasians and 69% of Hispanics), and 61% say the federal government is not doing enough to stop it. (Scripps Howard Texas Poll, October 1997)

VIRGINIA

"¢ 73% consider the pace of population growth to be an urgent problem, with 60% saying it threatens quality of life in the state. 70% say they are concerned about the level of immigration to Virginia, and 57% say they would be more likely to support a candidate for Congress who supported a reduction in national immigration levels. (Mason-Dixon Polling and Research, July 2000)

Explain why 35.7 % are on welfare, your such hard workers and there are so many jobs what's up with this. This will only get worse as more become eligible for the programs.

And the Immigrant Welfare Winner Is...
                            In my last column, I noted that the 1996 welfare reform had failed to end the scandal of immigrant welfare dependency"”which means American taxpayers are still being compelled to finance their own dispossession.
                            Now the news you're all waiting for: who won the latest Immigrant Welfare Sweepstakes?
                            And the winner is...surprisingly hard to find. For some mysterious reason, the government chooses not to make this interesting information easily available. And no academic seems to have updated Harvard University economist George Borjas' calculations from 1990 Census data, republished as an appendix to Peter Brimelow's Alien Nation.
                            Nevertheless, on the basis of what we have (Ta-Ra!):
                             First place: Immigrants from the Dominican Republic! Nearly three in five (58.7%) Dominican immigrant households received at least one means-tested program in 2002.

Runner-up: Immigrants from Mexico! Over one in three (35.7%) Mexican immigrant households are on welfare. About a quarter (24.9%) of illegal Mexican immigrants receive benefits on behalf of their U.S.-born children.

Dead last: less than one in thirteen (7.3%) immigrant households from Canada receive benefits.

This new list, prepared by the enterprising Steven Camarota of the Center for Immigration Studies, is not comprehensive. (See our first table.) It omits, for example, 1990's winner and runner-up, Cambodia and Laos. In that year, their welfare participation rate was nearly twice that of Dominican immigrants"”reflecting the presence of profoundly troubled subgroups, like the Hmong.

Comment

Good ol' acelaw, at it again. Posting the same tired old articles that offer nary a solution..........

Another day gone by acelaw, and what has happened with the millions already here?? Nothing, they just become more a part of OUR society as the days go by..........get it.

You still haven't answered my simple yes or no question either. What the hell here it goes again for the 7th time. Is it legal to exploit PEOPLE in the U.S.?

Now for your good for nothing articles again

I'm not going to refer to your previous articles, seeing as I already have and poked enough holes in them that they look like swiss cheese!!

Now for new nonsense.......

"AMERICANS HAVE SPOKEN:"

Which means nothing if our leaders are deaf.....

"By overwhelming margins, Americans want to cut back drastically on immigration"”not bring in new immigrants or legalize those who are already here illegally."

That is a very cute, broad statement. If they don't want to legalize those already here, what do they propose?? Uh,...... but, uh, hmmm..... I know I know, it is much easier (and more fun) to just complain rather than find solutions......

"HERE'S WHAT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT IMMIGRATION."

Which means nothing if our policymakers are deaf.......unless we're taking about a revolution.

""¢ 65% of voters favor stopping all immigration into the U.S. during the war on terrorism. (Fox News/Opinion Dynamics poll, October 31-November 1, 2001)"

Very good research acelaw!!! Thanks for once again proving my point that our leaders aren't listening. Lets see, this "poll" was taken one month after 9/11. I'll ask you, was all immigration stopped??

""¢ 92% of voters favor "imposing stricter immigration and border crossing polices." (Fox News poll, September 19-20, 2001)"

"Sticter", what does that mean exactly?? Don't just use cute buzz words, what is the plan??

""¢ 84% of Americans support tighter restrictions on immigration. (McPheters & Company and Beta Research, November 2001)"

"Tighter"?? How tight?? what does that mean??

""¢ 77% think the government is not doing enough "to control the border and to screen people allowed into the country." (Zogby International, September 15-16, 2001)"

Wow, there is a revelation!!! I could have told you that without a poll!!

""¢ 85% strongly/somewhat agree "that enforcement of immigration laws and the border has been too lax and has made it easier for the terrorists to enter." (Zogby International, September 15-16, 2001)"

The terrorists didn't cross our border per se.

""¢ 72% think that "a dramatic increase in resources devoted to border control and enforcement of immigration laws would help reduce the chances of future terrorist attacks." (Zogby International, September 15-16, 2001)"

It sure would.........

""¢ Six in ten Americans support reducing legal immigration levels. (CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll, October 2001)"

How so?? To what level?? What is the plan??

""¢ 77% of respondents in a CNN poll opposed granting amnesty to illegal immigrants. (CNN, July 2001)"

Ok, don't like the idea fine. But wait!!! What do we do then?? I know I know, that is the hard part.....

""¢ 41% of Republicans and 45% of Democrats support stopping legal immigration altogether. (Gallup poll, October 2000)"

Poll was taken 3 years ago. Was immigration stopped altogether??

""¢ A Roper poll in January 1996 found that 83% of Americans favor a lower immigration level. 70% favor restricting immigration to less than 300,000 new immigrants a year (including 70% of Republicans, 73% of African-Americans, and 52% of Hispanics)."

What is our current level??

"Most want even larger cuts: 54% favor an immigration level of below 100,000 a year. 20% support no immigration at all."

Lets see, that was 7 years ago. Are our immigration levels below 100,000 per year??

""¢ The same Roper poll found that a large majority (75%) supports strong laws to identify and deport illegal immigrants."

What happened?? Why are the millions still here??

""¢ 52% of all Americans favor a five-year ban on all legal and illegal immigration to the U.S., including 54% of all Republicans and 48% of all Democrats. (Wall St. Journal/NBC, March 1996)"

7 years ago. Wow, so, lets see here, was there a ban on immigration?? See my point now acelaw. These polls and numbers are cute but mean squat in reality............With these numbers, why wasn't there a ban??

""¢ 50% favor a law that would stop all legal immigration into the U.S. for the next five years. (Gallup, April 1996)"

Wow, 7 yeaars ago. Was there a law implemented that stopped all legal immigration to the US?? Again, there is fantasty, and there is reality.......

""¢ 63% of Americans think immigration levels are too high, including 66% of Republicans and 60% of Democrats. (CBS News/New York Times, September 1995)"

Great, but doesn't solve anything. Hopefully you're getting my point now acelaw. Can't you see the reality of our situation? These polls where from some time ago, and yet nothing has been implemented to help the situation one way or the other. WHY?

"HISPANIC ATTITUDES TOWARD IMMIGRATION
                              Some lawmakers are particularly concerned with the attitudes of Hispanics on the immigration issue. Polls show that Hispanic Americans, like all Americans, support cutbacks in immigration."

Legal or illegal?

See, here you go acelaw. Contrary to a previous post, not all Hispanics favor immigration!!

""¢ 89% of Hispanic Americans strongly support an immediate moratorium on immigration. 74% feel fewer immigrants should be allowed and stronger restrictions should be enforced. (Hispanic USA Research Group, June 1993)"

10 year old stat, but hey, only proves to contradict your previous point so I like it!!

""¢ 43% of Hispanics nationwide think the government is not doing enough to stop illegal immigration. The more established Hispanics are in the United States, the more likely they are to think the government is not doing enough to curb illegal immigration."

Well, are they??

"CALIFORNIA
                              "¢ 82% of Californians believe that the projected population growth during the next 20 years will make the state a less desirable place to live."

Why? Don't like colored people!!??

"Over 80% of California's growth is due to immigration. (Public Policy Institute of California, May 2001)"

Legal or illegal??

""¢ 50% of California voters oppose granting amnesty to illegal immigrants, versus 34% who favor it. (Zogby, April 2001)"

Don't like the idea, fine. But wait, what do we do then?? I know I know, much more easier to complain.....

"....61% want the federal government to lower immigration levels to reduce the environmental impact and development pressures on communities across the nation. (Ridder/Braden, March 2001)"

I'm reminded of an old song........"You can't always get what you want."

"FLORIDA
                              "¢ 58% of Florida voters favor making legal immigration more difficult. 71% favor the U.S. government spending more time and money to prevent illegal immigration into the U.S., including more than 40% of Hispanics. (Miami Herald/St. Petersburg Times, October 1999)"

There is a no brainer.......

"GEORGIA
                              "¢ 69% believe that the quality of life in the state will deteriorate if current growth and population trends continue. 74% are concerned about the level of immigration to the U.S."

Legal or illegal??

"61% oppose amnesty for illegal immigrants. (Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, July 2001)"

Don't like the idea, fine. But wait, what do we do then?? I know I know, much more easier to complain.....

"IOWA
                              "¢ 62% of Iowans feel that the U.S. should lower its current level of immigration. 65% feel that a U.S. population of 400 million in 2050, as projected by the U.S. Census Bureau, is too large. (Personal Marketing Research, December 1999)"

Ok, so what do we do about it??

"KANSAS
                              "¢ 86% of Kansans say levels of immigration into the U.S. are a "serious" or "very serious" problem. (Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, April 2001)"

Ok, so what do we do about it??

""¢ Two-thirds of adults in rural southern Maryland say the place where they live is growing too fast. Frustration with crowded roads is mounting, and nearly two-thirds want strict new limits on development. (Washington Post poll, March 1998)"

And this has what to do with immigration??

"Explain why 35.7 % are on welfare,"

I have, about 5 times already. 35.7%?? Is that for their US CITIZEN children who are entitled to it?? What percentage is from legal vs. illegal immigration??

"....your such hard workers and there are so many jobs what's up with this."

If it is for their AMERICAN children, then it is a moot point........

"Runner-up: Immigrants from Mexico! Over one in three (35.7%) Mexican immigrant households are on welfare. About a quarter (24.9%) of illegal Mexican immigrants receive benefits on behalf of their U.S.-born children."

AAAHHHHH, yes on behalf of their US CITIZEN children. What was that again acelaw?? oh yea, US CITIZEN CHILDREN, get it. (Talk about spin, why are they referred to as US born and not citizens. Somebody has an agenda)

So in reality, without the spin getting in the way, 10.8% are on "welfare."

"Dead last: less than one in thirteen (7.3%) immigrant households from Canada receive benefits."

Legal or illegal??

"Steven Camarota of the Center for Immigration Studies, is not comprehensive."

The other article you posted by this character was complete BS, that I find it very difficult to give him any credibility now.......

Once again acelaw, you're missing the entire point. Your cute little numbers and polls don't mean anything. I've never heard of somebody so completely out of touch with reality. This is the fact that matters. The vast majority of the millions already here, are here to stay. Fact, not opinion. Get it.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation