Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Evidence" of legitimate marriage

Hello,

My husband and I are trying to get our things together for our marriage interview. My husband who's American, born and bred doesn't think it will be a major pain because we're obviously in a legitimate marriage. I'm more worried though because all we have at the moment as far as "evidence" is concerned is a lease with both our names on it, phone bills in both our names and a nice photo album. Is it absolutely vital that we file taxes jointly and have a joint bank account? My husband owes the IRS money and we're both working on saving up money so we can pay his debt off in one payment. However, until we can do that, and I don't think we'll be able to do it before the next filing, I don't want to file jointly. As I understand it, I too would be held financially responsible if we were to file jointly and I'm not prepared to take reponsibility for a irresponsible move made by my beloved husband in his younger and dumber days. As I understand it, if we were to open a joint account together, the IRS would be allowed to take MY money out as well as my husband's in order to pay off a little of the debt. Right now, while we're saving up money we're using my bank account alone. Am I wrong about the financial issues? I would love to be wrong but I don't think I am as it makes sense to me. Back to my original question: is it very important to be able to show evidence of joint bank account as well as jointly filed taxes?

Thank you
    Danielle

Hello,

My husband and I are trying to get our things together for our marriage interview. My husband who's American, born and bred doesn't think it will be a major pain because we're obviously in a legitimate marriage. I'm more worried though because all we have at the moment as far as "evidence" is concerned is a lease with both our names on it, phone bills in both our names and a nice photo album. Is it absolutely vital that we file taxes jointly and have a joint bank account? My husband owes the IRS money and we're both working on saving up money so we can pay his debt off in one payment. However, until we can do that, and I don't think we'll be able to do it before the next filing, I don't want to file jointly. As I understand it, I too would be held financially responsible if we were to file jointly and I'm not prepared to take reponsibility for a irresponsible move made by my beloved husband in his younger and dumber days. As I understand it, if we were to open a joint account together, the IRS would be allowed to take MY money out as well as my husband's in order to pay off a little of the debt. Right now, while we're saving up money we're using my bank account alone. Am I wrong about the financial issues? I would love to be wrong but I don't think I am as it makes sense to me. Back to my original question: is it very important to be able to show evidence of joint bank account as well as jointly filed taxes?

Thank you
    Danielle

Comment

It would help....

But you know nowadays a lot of married people don't have joint bank accounts. His money is his and her money is hers.

You have a car loan together? That would help too

As far as the IRS is concerned, he should have gotten a payment plan going. Maybe you should do that because they will garnish his wages if he doesn't pay it. I understand you are saving to pay it off all at once but that may not be the best move. Call them, set up a payment plan before they do it for you and garnish his wages.

Comment

How about a child together? That goes a very long way.

Comment

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Working...
          X