Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIFE LEGALIZATION/REGISTRATION UPDATE

A friend of mine who is a LULAC class member and he has applied for AOS under LIFE LEGALIZATION went for registration yesterday at the chicago office. Every thing went smoothly and he was in and out in less than two hours.

The documents he took with him were his EAD,Passport, Driving liscense, credit cards, bank statement, a utility bill and all the correspondence he has received from the INS regarding his case.

He arrived at around 8.00 am and after signing his name he had to wait less then 20 minutes before he was called in. The immigration officer asked him to take the oath and after that he presented her all the documents that he had with him. When the immigration officer saw the I-485 receipt and my friend told her that he was interviewed in december of 2001 for his AOS application, she said that she is going to pull his file to see what's going on. She came back after 20 minutes and told my friend that she can't locate his file, she made few calls from her office to various departments to locate his file but with no luck she told my friend that the file is probably in transit from some other department and she has notified the supervisor and the INS will look into it. Any way, she said let's start the registration process. She asked some very basic questions such as name, gender, D.O.B, Parents names and addresses etc. Nothing alarming or out of the ordinary, all the questions were very basic and one could answer them without any problem. After that he was finger printed and photographed. She again left the office for 10-15 minutes and came back to apologize my friend that he did'nt have to register and she did't know about it but she checked with her supervisor and he told her that but since all the info was already entered in the computer, she can't delete it and there is no harm in it and in fact it's a good thing that you came to register. She gave him a reference # and told him that her supervisor is trying to locate his file and he will hear from them very soon.

I'm also a LULAC class member and my case is very similar as my friend and I'm planning to go for registration on the 2nd week of Feb. I'll post my experience as soon as I'm done. So, if any one is in a similar situation, I'll strongly recommend that no matter what INS says, you should go to register because INS has no clue as to who should register it's better to be safe then sorry.

Best wishes and good luck to all of you.

A friend of mine who is a LULAC class member and he has applied for AOS under LIFE LEGALIZATION went for registration yesterday at the chicago office. Every thing went smoothly and he was in and out in less than two hours.

The documents he took with him were his EAD,Passport, Driving liscense, credit cards, bank statement, a utility bill and all the correspondence he has received from the INS regarding his case.

He arrived at around 8.00 am and after signing his name he had to wait less then 20 minutes before he was called in. The immigration officer asked him to take the oath and after that he presented her all the documents that he had with him. When the immigration officer saw the I-485 receipt and my friend told her that he was interviewed in december of 2001 for his AOS application, she said that she is going to pull his file to see what's going on. She came back after 20 minutes and told my friend that she can't locate his file, she made few calls from her office to various departments to locate his file but with no luck she told my friend that the file is probably in transit from some other department and she has notified the supervisor and the INS will look into it. Any way, she said let's start the registration process. She asked some very basic questions such as name, gender, D.O.B, Parents names and addresses etc. Nothing alarming or out of the ordinary, all the questions were very basic and one could answer them without any problem. After that he was finger printed and photographed. She again left the office for 10-15 minutes and came back to apologize my friend that he did'nt have to register and she did't know about it but she checked with her supervisor and he told her that but since all the info was already entered in the computer, she can't delete it and there is no harm in it and in fact it's a good thing that you came to register. She gave him a reference # and told him that her supervisor is trying to locate his file and he will hear from them very soon.

I'm also a LULAC class member and my case is very similar as my friend and I'm planning to go for registration on the 2nd week of Feb. I'll post my experience as soon as I'm done. So, if any one is in a similar situation, I'll strongly recommend that no matter what INS says, you should go to register because INS has no clue as to who should register it's better to be safe then sorry.

Best wishes and good luck to all of you.

Comment

Can you please tell us if you friend first entry to the U.S was with visa or Entered without inspection and how about his second entry to the U.S. was it with visa or EWI?

Comment

His first entry was without inspection, he left the country couple of years later and then came back on a student visa. His last entry was two years ago on a advance parole.

Comment

Hi AZ;
          Long time we did not hear from you, did you register for special registration. I remember you want to register in Feb, Please update us about what happened with you at the special registration, your feedback and advice helpful to everyone. Thank you and keep the good work.

Comment

Hello Friends:

I finally went for my registration today. It was not bad at all. I arrived at 8.00 a.m sharp at the chicago INS office. Ther was no line and I went straight to the 2nd floor. They have a nice waiting area. Any way, the girl at the front desk asked me the purpose of my visit and I told her that Im here for registration. She asked for my passport, I-94 and if I have any case pending at the INS. I gave her my passport, My I-485 receipt and told her that I don't have I-94 but I had a copy of that. She kept my passport and gave me a form to fill out. Very simple one, basically, name, DOB, address, Phone#, Parents name address, and DOB"S. It also asked if I have any case pending and if I have given an A#. I completed the form and gave it back to her. At this time she had about 6-7 passports and completed forms. She gave all the passports to this person who disappeared for almost an hour. MY guess is that he took all the passports to run FBI check. Finally, different interviewing officers started to call names from the passport. MY turn came half an hour later. The officer who interviewed me was fine. We shook hands, chatted about the weather for minute and then he took me to his office on the 22nd floor. After taking oath, he asked me for any ID's credit cards, driving liscense, SS card etc, etc. I only had my driving liscense, helath insurance card, my bank ATM card and one credit card. I gave him all of that. He started entering all the info in the computer. Bsically, same info that I filled out at the front desk. He asked for 3 referneces, and also entered my credit card info, DL info and my Bank Name and ATM card info. I joked with him that if I see any suspicious activity in my bank account or credit card, I'll sue INS and he laughed and assured me that all the info is extremely confidential nothing will hapen. After that he took my left and right index finger print and took picture. He noted a registration# in my passport and told me that I will have to register again next year in a 10 days window from today unless my green card is approved before that.
            That was it. The whole process took 20-25 minutes. I asked him if he can check the status of my case on his computer and he told me that the computer he had was only for special registration and he can't access any other info. He directed me to the office where people usually go to check the status of their cases.

It was about 10:30 a.m and most of the crowd was already gone. I had few people in front of me. Few minutes later, I was at the information window explaining the officer that I was interviewed almost a year ago regarding my AOS application and I'm still waiting for the decision. He agreed with me that I should have heard somethihg by now. He gave me a simple form to fill out and gave me a # to speak to Information officer who can see the status of cases on their computer. This time I waited for over an hour. Finally, I was again standing at a window and the lady on the other side was from some Latin American country. She seemed concerned when I told her that I was interviewed almost a year ago and I send several inquiries by mail but never got more than the stnadard response that the case is pending. She entered my Case # on her computer....I for a minute hoped that she may gave me some good news but that hope lasted for less then a second when she told me that my case is still pending. That's all she had on her computer and she was kind of surprised too. I told her that I did'nt wait in line for two hours just to hear that. I need more than that. I told her that I need to know what's going on with my file, is it Pendning background check, do you need more documents, What's taking so long. She looked at all the inquires I sent o INS and all the standard response I received.

Finally, she told me that she is going to make copies of all the info I had with me and give it to her supervisor. I said, that's fine but what will happen next. SHe assured me that this time it will go through differnet channel and the Supervisor willl contact me within 3-4 weeks.

She made a copy of the form I filled out for my record and told me to wait 3-4 weeks.....and now.... the wait begins. We shall see. We have been waiting for so long, what's another few weeks. Any way, I'm not counting on it. I don't believe them any more.

That's all I have for today, If I hear any thing, you guys will know right away.

Good Luck to all my friends and well wishers.

Comment

hey AZ thanks for posting valueable information about registration , i have a question for you
              i have filled out i130 petition in 2001 and my wife is a green card holder or LPR and her citizenship papers were sent it 2 weeks ago
              i have to go for registration , i am in the NY area . do you think they will deport me ? as i am from pakistan and i over stayed on my B2 visa which expired in 1993 ?

Comment

Immigrant:

It's a tough call because INS officers have a lot of discretion over this issue. The problem is that you have to register other wise they can deny your petition stating that you failed to register. Take all the correspondence you have received from INS and take some proof of your marriage. I feel that lately they are bit laxed towards cases such as yours because Pakistan pressured U.S against registration of it's citizens.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Thanks AZ for your very valuable info on LULAC registration. I have a problem i am trying to find a solution. May be you or anybody else offer me some help here. I applied for LIFE/LULAC few months ago and i have done fingerprint, picture already. I received a letter 3 months ago from INS saying that they sent my file to local INS office and they will contact me soon. BUT one month after that due to an emergency i had to leave USA for Canada without applying for parole(i am a canadian citizen but applied as citizen of my birth place) . Now my country has been recently listed for special registration. If i try to go back to USA i am sure i have to register at the boarder. When i do that i am sure they will find out about my LIFE/LULAC pending application. I am not sure what to do at this point! I know someone can apply for LULAC from outside USA. In my case since i already applied from usa, can i ask ins to transfer my file to CANADA? If not, can i apply for parole from CANADA? OR is there any other option for me? PLEASE HELP!!!

Comment

Does anybody knows if the Life Legalization applicant should have with him the first passport and Visa when he entered the U.S or just a current passport and I-94 when he go for the special registration.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation