Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Julie, Gay Immigration Permanent Partners Act Reintroduced This Year In Congress!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julie, Gay Immigration Permanent Partners Act Reintroduced This Year In Congress!

PPIA

[Congressional Record: May 1, 2003 (Extensions)]
    [Page E842]
    From the Congressional Record Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
    [DOCID:cr01my03-83]

SUPPORT FOR H.R. 832, PERMANENT PARTNERS IMMIGRATION ACT
    ______

HON. BRAD SHERMAN
    of california in the house of representatives

Thursday, May 1, 2003

Mr. SHERMAN. Mr. Speaker, H.R. 832, the Permanent Partners Immigration Act would allow US citizens and lawful permanent residents, who are in a permanent partnership, to sponsor their partner for immigration purposes in the same way that opposite-sex spouses now can. This proposal would also hold these partners to the same legal
    commitments of a legal marriage, in that if a person is found to have entered into a fraudulent permanent partnership for the purpose of obtaining a visa for another person, they will be subject to the same five year maximum imprisonment, or $250,000 maximum fine, or both.

According to the Human Rights Campaign, this egislation would affect the status of thousands of couples who currently are separated or risk permanent separation from the ones they love. Fourteen countries -- including Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Israel, the United Kingdom and South Africa -- recognize same sex partnerships for purposes of immigration.

I have co-sponsored H.R. 832 because I strongly elieve in its purposes and I am confident that its text will be fine tuned as it goes through the legislative process. I called upon the Congressional leadership to begin that process.

http://www.ilw.com/lawyers/immigdail...5-sherman.shtm

PPIA

[Congressional Record: May 1, 2003 (Extensions)]
    [Page E842]
    From the Congressional Record Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
    [DOCID:cr01my03-83]

SUPPORT FOR H.R. 832, PERMANENT PARTNERS IMMIGRATION ACT
    ______

HON. BRAD SHERMAN
    of california in the house of representatives

Thursday, May 1, 2003

Mr. SHERMAN. Mr. Speaker, H.R. 832, the Permanent Partners Immigration Act would allow US citizens and lawful permanent residents, who are in a permanent partnership, to sponsor their partner for immigration purposes in the same way that opposite-sex spouses now can. This proposal would also hold these partners to the same legal
    commitments of a legal marriage, in that if a person is found to have entered into a fraudulent permanent partnership for the purpose of obtaining a visa for another person, they will be subject to the same five year maximum imprisonment, or $250,000 maximum fine, or both.

According to the Human Rights Campaign, this egislation would affect the status of thousands of couples who currently are separated or risk permanent separation from the ones they love. Fourteen countries -- including Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Israel, the United Kingdom and South Africa -- recognize same sex partnerships for purposes of immigration.

I have co-sponsored H.R. 832 because I strongly elieve in its purposes and I am confident that its text will be fine tuned as it goes through the legislative process. I called upon the Congressional leadership to begin that process.

http://www.ilw.com/lawyers/immigdail...5-sherman.shtm

Comment

Ha! They introduce this Act once a year just to keep gay people hopeful, but in the end homophobia always triumphs!

Comment

Let's hope this year this law will pass!

Comment

Working...
        X