Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

husband files for divorce, leaves me in limbo...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• husband files for divorce, leaves me in limbo...

hello, i came as a tourist withthe sole intention of meeting my fiance last may (2002). however, after a while, we decided to get married. by that time, we were so sure that that was what we both wanted, so we went ahead and filed for AOS. i've already had my interview last october, but my passport was not stamped or anything. last week, my husband filed for divorce and didn't tell me until afterwards. i would like to remain in the country as i lost the job i had when i decided to marry him, i even lost my indemnity! his sister would like to sponsor a visa for me, and i would like to know how to go about it with the least bit of pain from the INS. please find it in your hearts to give me the best possible advise. i currently do not have a job and therefor cannot afford a lawyer. thank you.

hello, i came as a tourist withthe sole intention of meeting my fiance last may (2002). however, after a while, we decided to get married. by that time, we were so sure that that was what we both wanted, so we went ahead and filed for AOS. i've already had my interview last october, but my passport was not stamped or anything. last week, my husband filed for divorce and didn't tell me until afterwards. i would like to remain in the country as i lost the job i had when i decided to marry him, i even lost my indemnity! his sister would like to sponsor a visa for me, and i would like to know how to go about it with the least bit of pain from the INS. please find it in your hearts to give me the best possible advise. i currently do not have a job and therefor cannot afford a lawyer. thank you.

Comment

What was the result of your interview? What is your status right now? Were you given conditional status? Did YOU sign the divorce papers? You need to provide more information.

Comment

i assume that it was approved, since i was told that they will have to call me/send a letter to stamp my pasport for conditional residency. nope, i haven't signed the papers yet, as i was informed after he filed for it.

Comment

please give me more advise...thanks

Comment

I do not know what state you are coming from but I think that you should have at least several months before you are obligated by the family law to sign any divorce papers. So, take your time and probably try to prolong this period, so that you have time to receive your conditional status. Also, try to find out with ins unless you already know when they are going to contact you about stamping the passport. May be his sister can help finding that out, write to ins for status inquiry, or even try to call the 1-800 number. I really hope that you get your passport stamped before you have to sign the divorce papers.

Comment

Working...
            X