Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• divorce

That's really good news!

But why was I adviced to wait at least 7 months after receiving the corrected green card to file?
    Would the INS take my PR card back if I was to file for divorce too soon? And If
    I don't have to file any forms with the INS would they even know about it?
    What if I wanted to re-marry in the future? Would there be a certain time I'd have to wait to do so?

Thanks again you are a great help!

As far as I know, there is no law that says there is a waiting period. What the lawyer probably meant; is that the INS might think it is a bit fishy that as soon as you received your card,you are filing for divorce.

However, considering that you haev been married for over 4 years, I think you have pretty much proven a good faith marriage. (hence the 10 year card,as opposed to the 2 year conditional card)

I really don't know why you are worried, the only thing I can think of is if you want to get married to someone who is not a USC, immediately after filing for divorce. The INS would look real hard at that.

So be cool man.... unless there is something you are not telling.

Paudy

Comment

Evaluate your relationship with your US spouse. Is it amicable or hostile?

If your spouse is into vengeance, retain your proofs of co-minglings, etc and probably wait several months more before a divorce... You are already married more than 2 years, it helps.

If your divorce is going to be friendly, and you already have 10 years Green Card, you do not have anything to worry about. Peace of mind you have.

Comment

Working...
      X