Criminal conviction - Please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal conviction - Please help

I am in my H1 visa working for a company for the past four years. My visa expires in Jul'03 and can be extended for one more year. Also I have applied for my green card which is in Labor clearance stage. Unfortunately, I was arrested for 5th degree domestic assault a month back(first arrest). After consulting immigration attorney, my criminal attorney negotiated for "disorderly conduct" which is a misdaemenor charge. So, I was convicted of disorderly conduct with one week in jail + 1 year of probation. According to INS rules, it is a Moral turpitude, but well within the limit of not getting deported or inadmissible. I would like to know how it affects the following :

1. Travel outside US as my job nature demands : I have to travel outside US as my job demands. Will there be a problem at the port of entry? Will they check the criminal records in the primary check or just the visa status? Even if they pull the criminal record, will I be allowed to enter as I am falling well within the immigration rules? Do I need to carry any documentation about my arrest for proof?

2. H1 extension or H1 transfer: Recently, I have heared a rule that INS is doing background checks against IBIS database for all the filings. Will it affect H1 transfer and H1 extension?

3. Green card processing : Will I be able to get the green card?

Thanks in advance for the help
    Ceejay

You mentioned that you already consulted an immigration attorney before your criminal attorney negotiated the disorderly conduct. Go back to that attorney for follow-up questions b/c he/she is most familiar with you.

FYI: A crime involving moral turpitude constitutes a ground of inadmissibility unless it is the only offense and qualifies as a petty offense. If the offense does not involve moral turpitude, then it won't lead to inadmissibility. The same goes for a single petty offense. Always have a copy of the disposition ready to present at inspection. Expect that you will have problems when seeking admission to the US and in future applications b/c your arrest is now a part of your record and will follow you. Never fail to disclose that you have been arrested when asked - lying on an application or to an INS officer will lead to bigger problems.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Whether misdemeanor charges come under petty offenses? Please suggest me more as I need to make decision on the travel as well as H1 transfer. Your response is highly appreciated

Comment

why are you beating your wife?

Comment

Working...
        X