selective service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selective service

Does lack of selective service registry cause for denial of the citizenship application? thanks.

Does lack of selective service registry cause for denial of the citizenship application? thanks.

Comment

YES!

Comment

I am 43 now. Is there a limitation of statute? or something like that? Thanks.

Comment

THERE IS A LIMITATION, I DON'T THINK FOR YOUR AGE THE SELECTIVE SERVICE REQUIRMENT APPLIES TO YOU... IN THE N400 TELLS YOU FROM WHAT YEAR ON SELECTIVE SERVICE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED.

Comment

Selective Service Registration requirement is only applied to those who were present in United States between the ages of 18-26 regardless of their immigration status. The only exception to this rule is if they were here on certain valid non-immigrant visas. Even undocumented aliens are also required to register with Selective Service if they were present in U.S.soil during those ages. BCIS may deny citizenship application if someone has failed to register with Selective Service. However, if you have failed because of any reasons then you need to give the explaination to BCIS that it was not a WILFUL failure if you want BCIS to consider your citizenship application.

Comment

Thanks Sammy,
              I was out of status when I was 18-26. But I did not know about registry requirement. from your experience do you think they accept explanation of not knowing about the law at the time i was 18-26. I am applying for the citizenship and now I am 43. I am just trying to be prepared. thanks so much for your time.

Comment

Usually, once you turn 31 (5 yrs. plus 26) you establish good moral character automatically, even if you didn't register for selective service. You may still have to show reasonably that you didn't register by gross intention or neglect. At your age of 43, you should be fine! Good luck!

Comment

Shawn:

When you will file N-400, you need to include a letter explaining that "I was present in U.S. at the age of ____[you need to mention you age between 18-26 when you were here] as ____ [your immigration status at that time, even illegal status being undocumented], but was not aware of the requirement of registration with selective service at that time. I hereby cerity that it was not a wilful intention from my part to neglect this requirement". BCIS always accept this explaination since 98% of applicants fall under the same reasoning if they have failed somehow. However, if you've become legal resident of U.S. after the age of 26 yrs, they won't even ask you anything during the interview, periord.

Comment

Sammy,you give me a lot of hope. I applied for naturalization, but I also failed to register. I entered the US 20 days prior to my 26 birthday as a LPR from the green card lottery and I really had no idea about this requirement. Thank you for posting!

Comment

Working...
                    X