strange annotation on B2 visa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange annotation on B2 visa

I applied for a tourist visa at my US consulate.
    On the application form I stated my sister-in-law as the person who will travel with me.
    I got the a 3 month single entry B2 visa with the following annotation:

"3 wks w/ [name] sister-in-law"

I have 3 questions regarding my visa:

Does it mean that I can only be admitted to enter if I travel with my sister-in-law? What if she can't travel with me finally? Do I have to re-apply for another visa even if my current b2 visa is valid (because of the annotation) if she can't come with me?

Is the maximum admitted time 3 weeks, or does it still depend on the immigration officer?

If my I-94 allows me to stay only for 3 weeks, can I apply for an extension of stay when I'm in the U.S.?

thank you

I applied for a tourist visa at my US consulate.
    On the application form I stated my sister-in-law as the person who will travel with me.
    I got the a 3 month single entry B2 visa with the following annotation:

"3 wks w/ [name] sister-in-law"

I have 3 questions regarding my visa:

Does it mean that I can only be admitted to enter if I travel with my sister-in-law? What if she can't travel with me finally? Do I have to re-apply for another visa even if my current b2 visa is valid (because of the annotation) if she can't come with me?

Is the maximum admitted time 3 weeks, or does it still depend on the immigration officer?

If my I-94 allows me to stay only for 3 weeks, can I apply for an extension of stay when I'm in the U.S.?

thank you

Comment

1. Yes, you will have to travel with your sister-in-law.

2. Three months mean that you can travel to US withing three months.

3. It will depend on Immigration Officer at Port of Entry to determine period of your stay which in most cases could be 90 to 180 days.

4. You can not travel alone, if you do, at the port of entry you can be denied entry and deported.

Comment

5. If you re-apply, your visa might be cancelled by the Consualte.

6. You can apply for extension here with INS to extend your stay beyong the period determined by Officer at Port of Entry.

Comment

Hi,

1. YES - you can travel on your own, are you visiting somoene in the US?

2. No you dont have to re-apply for a new visa if she cannot travle with you.

3. If you visa is valid for 3 months - you can stay in the US till that period. On your day of entering the US, you will receive a I-94 card, on this card the port of entry officer will put a stamp on. It will either be 'coded' as the day your flight ticket says you return or it could be for 6 months. But just b\c that says 6 months does not allow you to stay 6 months as your visa is only valid for 3 months - understand?

4. Yes you can re-apply for an extension - but just for traveling this is very rare to be approved.

HOpe this helps

Comment

The validity dates on the visa show the time period during which you are allowed to ENTER the US. A visa is an entry permit, it says nothing about how long you are permitted to stay. (A ten year, multiple-entry visa, for example, does NOT mean that you can stay in the US for ten years without leaving.)

When you arrive in the US, an INS officer will issue you an I-94 card. The date on that card shows how long you can stay on this trip.

I've never heard of a notation like the one you mentioned, so I can't say what it means.

Comment

Yes, I will visit someone in the US who's a citizen. But when I applied for a visa, at that time my sister-in-law wanted to travel with me, but she seems to change her mind, so I have to travel alone. Will they deny my entry because she's not with me? I'm over 21 I can travel alone, I don't need her company. Why am I forced to travel with someone?

Comment

this annotation was made because of what you told the consular officer during your visa interivew.
                You also said you were going to spend 3 weeks in the US....asking for an extension, while legal, might make it look like you said one thing when in actuality you had something else on your mind. this will not help a second visa request.
                If you tell the INS inspector you want to stay more than 3 weeks, he or she will wonder because of the annotation. Best thing is to do what you say.

Comment

It's not a problem if I can stay just for 3 weeks, because it might be enough for my vacation.
                  I want to make sure if they can deny my entry, just because my sister-in-law is not travelling with me? I have never been to the US, I don't want to overstay, I will have enough money for the trip, I have a letter of invitation from my US friend for 3 weeks, the only problem is that my sister-in-law can't be with me.

Comment

This notation by the Consular must have a reason. May be they considered that you did not qualify for visit visa whereas your sister-in-law did or may be she had travelled earlier also.

You should go to Consulate and get that remarks removed before planning to travel. This is not just a notation on the Visa, it is CONDITION for your Visa. If you will travel alone, you can be denied entry in the United States.

The time given to you on the Visa is for your entry into the United States.
                    Good luck.

Comment

When I came to the US on a B2 in 1985, the INS wrote guy "2 months only" across the page with my entry stamp. This was after 1 1/2 hours of interogation and searches of my luggage and me! I'm British (female) 20 years old at the time, but they asked me about my political beliefs etc, the IRA and stuff. When they let me go he said if I didn't leave the uSA when I was supposed to they would come after me! I don't know what it was all about in the end. I didn't leave in 2 months, in fact not for years later but that's another chapter. I'm in the USA now and married to USC by the way.

Comment

The annotations on your visa are NOT conditions!
                        It is a kind of alert for the inspecting officer at the airport - you may or may not be questioned about it at the airport.

Comment

Guest,

The minimum stay allowed in the US is 6 months, depending on the INS officer at the POE.

Lets make an example - Her visa is valid from 1 Jan to 1 April. Her flight to the US departs on the 2 Jan and is scheduled to return on the 1 Feb. She enters POE and the INS officer stamps her I-94 as date of return to be 2 June. SHe can stay in the US up until the day before her visa expires which is 1 April. This is waht I meant.

Should the INS officer stamp the I-94 as 1 Feb then she cannot stay till full lenght of visa.

I agree a 10 year visa does not allow you to stay in the US for 10 year, is allows you to enter the US for 10 years without applying for a new visa.

You must have just understood me wrong when I explained it.

Guest who asked the question:

You will be fine to enter on your own. they wont deny your entry just because your sister-in-law is not traveling with you. You are visiting a US citizen so you dont have to worry about it. Really, been there, had the same annotation on mine when I still travelled.

Good Luck

Comment

I was meant to say the maximum stay on B2 is 6 months not minimum.

Comment

The period for which the bearer of a visitor visa is authorized to remain in the United States is determined by the INS, not the Department of State Consular Officer. At the port of entry, an INS official must authorize the traveler's admission to the U.S. At that time the INS Form I-94, Record of Arrival-Departure, which notes the length of stay permitted, is stamped.

For example if your visa is valid from Jan 1 till Apr 1, and you apply for admission at the port of entry at march 31, you might be granted to stay in the US for 6 months (until sept 31), even if your visa expires the next day.

Comment

Working...
                              X