Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice

First off, I'm a US citizen. My boyfriend and I have been going out for awhile and are planning to get married. He came to the US 16 years ago when he was a child on a visitor visa - which obviously was expired a long time ago. He grew up in the US and got a college degree. He has also been working in the US - not sure if it's considered legally or illegally. He has a valid SS card that he got when he was a child. He has a well paid professional job and been paying taxes throughout his time of working.

My question is: What well happen when we get married? Is the INS going to deport and bar him for 10 years? Is there a way he can get his green card without me (he has no families or relatives here), so we won't have to go through the difficult process and risk separation?

Thanks in advance.

First off, I'm a US citizen. My boyfriend and I have been going out for awhile and are planning to get married. He came to the US 16 years ago when he was a child on a visitor visa - which obviously was expired a long time ago. He grew up in the US and got a college degree. He has also been working in the US - not sure if it's considered legally or illegally. He has a valid SS card that he got when he was a child. He has a well paid professional job and been paying taxes throughout his time of working.

My question is: What well happen when we get married? Is the INS going to deport and bar him for 10 years? Is there a way he can get his green card without me (he has no families or relatives here), so we won't have to go through the difficult process and risk separation?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I don't know much about this. But I remember reading that after 10 years in this country one is eligible for "amnesty" i.e. one can obtain permanent residency here after being here for 10 years. If he has been here for 16, he should be eligible for this.

Check with a lawyer!

Comment

Marriage to a USC can make him eligible to adjust his status without leaving the country as long as he came here legally (with visa and inspected i-94). The INS will overlook the overstay violation. But it's always safer to consult a lawyer.

Comment

U.S. citizens may petition for their family members (including spouses) to adjust status. I would need more information in order to provide you with specific advice. If you would like further information, you may visit our site at www.ImmigratingToAmerica.com and contact us for a free consultation.

Teressa Accurso Dickman
          Attorney At Law
          teressa@ImmigratingToAmerica.com

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources