Navy Sailors Become Citizens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Sailors Become Citizens

NORFOLK, Va. - More than 200 U.S. Navy (news - web sites) sailors, including many who served in the Iraq (news - web sites) war, were sworn in Friday as citizens of the country they defend.

The sailors had applied for U.S. citizenship under an executive order issued by President Bush (news - web sites) last year, which made immigrants serving in the military since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks immediately eligible for naturalization.

"When I look at you, I see myself," said Eduardo Aguirre, director of the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, recalling how he came to the United States as a 15-year-old Cuban refugee in search of a better life.

Aguirre administered an oath of allegiance to the 222 sailors during the ceremony aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, docked at Norfolk Naval Station.

Afterward, the sailors, in their dress white uniforms, waved American flags as family members and friends cheered.

The new citizens hail from 51 countries, from Albania to Ukraine.

"I'm very happy to be an American," said Agbasi Ebuka, a 29-year-old petty officer 3rd class from Nigeria. "America is the most free country in the whole world. You have the freedom to live your life the way you want to."

Normally during peacetime, non-citizens in the military can apply for naturalization after three years of service. Immigrants not in the military must be legal residents for five years before they become eligible for naturalization.

NORFOLK, Va. - More than 200 U.S. Navy (news - web sites) sailors, including many who served in the Iraq (news - web sites) war, were sworn in Friday as citizens of the country they defend.

The sailors had applied for U.S. citizenship under an executive order issued by President Bush (news - web sites) last year, which made immigrants serving in the military since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks immediately eligible for naturalization.

"When I look at you, I see myself," said Eduardo Aguirre, director of the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, recalling how he came to the United States as a 15-year-old Cuban refugee in search of a better life.

Aguirre administered an oath of allegiance to the 222 sailors during the ceremony aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, docked at Norfolk Naval Station.

Afterward, the sailors, in their dress white uniforms, waved American flags as family members and friends cheered.

The new citizens hail from 51 countries, from Albania to Ukraine.

"I'm very happy to be an American," said Agbasi Ebuka, a 29-year-old petty officer 3rd class from Nigeria. "America is the most free country in the whole world. You have the freedom to live your life the way you want to."

Normally during peacetime, non-citizens in the military can apply for naturalization after three years of service. Immigrants not in the military must be legal residents for five years before they become eligible for naturalization.

Comment

GOD SPEED TO THEM! GOD HELP THEIR FOLLOWERS

It took 13 months (tops) maybe less for them to naturalize... Good!
      SEMPER VIPER / Army Strong!

Comment

yay!

Comment

gii... I can't shake off the feeling its a monologue here! And it's embarrissingly obvious!
          Get real Bebe!

Comment

What monologue are you talking about?

Comment

we've got a saying: "it's allways the one, who asks". It's just too obvious bebe... grow up monkey!

Comment

Yea whatever you are mumbling...

Comment

Keolsch should quit drinking his avatar!

Comment

LOL I was just going to say that, too much of it shows itself and is never good... HA HA! What the h@ck is "bebe" by the way?

Comment

I have heard "bebe" refers to crack cocaine ... on its lighter side...

Comment

Oh really, haha that is funny...

He says "we've got a saying: "it's allways the one, who asks"

And we've got a saying: "it's always the one who knows his stuff" LOL

Comment

Bushy, it's all too evident you're not working ... try prostituting your mal-ish body ... you can do it ...

Comment

Bushmaster, are you g a y ?

Comment

You hit the nail right on the head, Koelsch!

Comment

Working...
                              X