Border Crossing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border Crossing

When entering from Canada to USA by road what do they exactly check at the border post? Anyone like to share their experiences while crossing Niagra/Buffalo recently. I am a new landed immigrant in Canada.

When entering from Canada to USA by road what do they exactly check at the border post? Anyone like to share their experiences while crossing Niagra/Buffalo recently. I am a new landed immigrant in Canada.

Comment

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? I would really appreciate.

Comment

It can be form hardly any checking to search of you, your car and detailed interview depending on the situation and your citizenship. If you are from one of the countries who are required to register then you should expect that. They want to know the purpose and duration of your visit. Lately they are more stringent because of the code Orange alert. Also, starting march 17th, canadian landed immigrants from many countries will be required to have a visa before entering the U.S.

Good Luck.

Comment

if are a recent canadian residents i think you need visa from 3/17/03.But i'm not sure whether it is only for the citizen of the listed countries for special reg OR for citizen of every country? And, at the border they usual ask your country of citizenship, where you going, for how long, where you staying, when you coming back, what do you have in your car etc. They might search your car if they suspect. If you are a new canadian immigrant they don't let you go. Otherwise, if you are not muslim and a citizen of those countries listed for special registration they don't bother too much. good luck!

Comment

Do you know if you are a canadian landed immigrant came few months ago to usa and going back to canada have any problem. does the usa immigration questions on the way out to canada through ny?

-thanks

Comment

I am a Landing Immigrant in Canada and I travel to the USA atleast 5 times a year.

The new visa requirements applies only to citizens of Commonwealth countries who are landed immigrants in Canada.

With respect to the other half of the question about the procedures at the border. It all depends on your nationality. I've never had any problems, they don't even check my car trunk or stamp me (no I-94). So therefore, your nationality will determine what kind of questions you will be asked and treated at the border.

Good Luck

Comment

How about when you exit to canada? Do the US immigration check your status or how long you have stayed in the USA? or do they stamp your passport way out to canada at border in ny?

-Thanks

Comment

How about when you exit to canada? Do the US immigration check your status or how long you have stayed in the USA? or do they stamp your passport way out to canada at border in ny?

-Thanks

Comment

To fguest,

it depands on your birth country whether it is listed for special registration or not. if it is, and the registion date already expired then they might stop you. But i traveled few times last year sept and oct i did not see any usa post when i was coming back to canada. i came directly to canadian post. but it was in detroit/windsor border. in buffolo/ny i saw the usa post but they did not stop us. i did not go to usa recently so i don't know how thing are now.
                    good luck!!

Comment

FGUEST,

Theoritically speaking immigration only controls the inflow of immigrant; therefore, US immigration do not stop you when you are exiting the USA, they only stop you when you are entering.

When you are coming back to Canada you only have to deal with Canadian Immigration because you are entering Canada.

Basically, immigration deals with when you are entering the country (theoritically speaking.)

Because of the new registration policy I think you may need to show US immigration that you are exiting the USA, but I'm not familiar with the registration requirements.

Good Luck

Comment

Do you know who is a landed canadian immigrant and went back to canada through bafulo NY and got stoped by the US immigration recently?

-Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X