Can B2 still enroll in classes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can B2 still enroll in classes?

Can someone holding a B2 visa enroll in a school for, say, an English class? I got a friend who's thinking of going to the US as a tourist for a few months for fun, and if time permits, he's thinking of taking an English class at a local college. Is this still possible after 911? We heard that you can no longer change status from B2 to F1, but wonder if taking one class during the B2 stay is still legal?

Thanks for any suggestions. He just doesn't want to get into any trouble for doing something there's no compelling reason for.

Can someone holding a B2 visa enroll in a school for, say, an English class? I got a friend who's thinking of going to the US as a tourist for a few months for fun, and if time permits, he's thinking of taking an English class at a local college. Is this still possible after 911? We heard that you can no longer change status from B2 to F1, but wonder if taking one class during the B2 stay is still legal?

Thanks for any suggestions. He just doesn't want to get into any trouble for doing something there's no compelling reason for.

Comment

It is very hard to convert B-2 to F1 but your friend can attend some private institution in the United States. There are many institutions and Organizations who are teaching ESL. Some of these classes are also free of cost.
      Good luck.

Comment

A person admitted as a tourist (b2) can attend classes up to somewhere around 12 hrs a week without having to change status. they could also attend schools teaching something specific that does not result in a degree (like a special art class or horseback riding, etc).
        Changing from B2 to F1 is not likely to happen unless the person declares his/her intention at the port of entry, but then could face additional questions about what they (the "tourist") told the consulate when they got their tourist visa. Best to scout schools on a B2, then apply for an I20 and return to your country to apply for the F1 student visa.

Comment

Working...
        X