SSN Backlog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSN Backlog

My wife and I(USC) submitted our forms I-485, I-130 fingerprints the whole deal in Sept. She got her Work Authorization card in Sept. but she still hasn't recieved SSN. SSA says they are waiting on authorization from INS, they said others are waiting since August. We have our I-485 interview this month but I haven't been able to do much for my wife without SSN. We are happily married but with out much joint documentation.

Are others caught up in this backlog between INS and SSA ?

My wife and I(USC) submitted our forms I-485, I-130 fingerprints the whole deal in Sept. She got her Work Authorization card in Sept. but she still hasn't recieved SSN. SSA says they are waiting on authorization from INS, they said others are waiting since August. We have our I-485 interview this month but I haven't been able to do much for my wife without SSN. We are happily married but with out much joint documentation.

Are others caught up in this backlog between INS and SSA ?

Comment

Your wife can't have the SSN unless she have the "green card". With the "green card" in her hand she has to go to the local SS Office to apply for the new SSN.
      After you do this, you will have the card in a week.
      So you have to wait a little bit longer.

Comment

Then why did they give her the Work Authorization card already? I was told that's all she needed.

Comment

With EAD, you can get both SSN and the Driver's license, you don't need to wait till you get the green card...

It doesn't make any sense, does it? Why are they giving your wife a working permit if she won't be able to work without a SSN?

Comment

It make sense. They have the adjustment of status interview (I-485) this month. What happens if she don't get approved?
            She does have the approve to work. Tell the employer that the wife will have the SSN shortly.
            In any case you will have the SSN after getting the green card.

Comment

Tseug does not know what s/he is talking about... sorry, but it's true.

Comment

tseuG, you are stupid.

Comment

It shouldn't be called a working authorization then, if she won't be able to work... The employer would care less if she will get a SSN soon. It is not employer's problem... And not every employer would allow her to work without a SSN by the way...

Comment

When one gets an EAD from the INS, s/he can go to an SSA local office to get an SSN valid for work. While it may be true that the SSA may take a little longer after Sep, 11 to issue an SSN (since they may want to verify directly with INS whether you really are eligible for it) it is by all means possible to be issued an SSN.

Comment

On the other hand, an employer has to accept the EAD -- Form I-766 (Employment Authorization Document) as a List A document -- which means that the EAD will serve as both a document to establish the identity of the person (since it has a photo) and to prove that the individual is authorized to work from the INS. (see here,

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fo.../forms/i-9.htm

for the changes to the I-9 process.

Here it is the Form I-9 that the employer is required to complete before employing an alien -- please note that on page 3 there are listed documents required to be submitted by an alien to the employer in connection with the I-9 Form.

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fo.../files/i-9.pdf

Comment

True, an employer should not deny such a person employment, but still an SSN is needed, I guess. Anyway, I'd say it's a bit strange how Stalled's wife has gotten her EAD the same month she filed her papers, and it is taking almost 4 months for the SSA to issue her the SSN.

On the other hand, how it is possible to be interviewed for an AOS case only 4 months after having filed the paperwork? It usually takes 1 year to 1 year and a half from the point in time you file the papers 'til you go to the interview -- I know it differs from one local INS office to the other, but still 4 months it's great.

Comment

There's nothing to be surprised about; there are INS District Offices, like these ones, e.g.,

http://shusterman.com/aos1.html#8

that process AOS cases in a little less than 3-4 months.

After ll, not all INS offices are bureaucratic

Comment

Okay, so basically the deal is that in case the INS ultimately does not approve the AOS application, they take your authorization to work away? Or you still hold it 'til it expires after a year or so that it was originally issued? And I was also curious as to what does a current employer usually do after an alien's EAD has expired, given that the INS has not placed this alien in deportation proceedings after denying him/her the green card (that is to say the alien is not forced to get out the country)?

Comment

http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums?a=...1&m=9076081881

Comment

Working...
                              X