Evidence to prove relationship to stepchild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evidence to prove relationship to stepchild

I am filing a petition for my stepchild. USCIS is demanding "clear and convincing evidence" to prove that the relationship exists but i already submitted the child's birth certificate and the marriage certificate showing my marriage to the child's natural mother. What else can i submit or do to prove that the relationship exists?. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks!

I am filing a petition for my stepchild. USCIS is demanding "clear and convincing evidence" to prove that the relationship exists but i already submitted the child's birth certificate and the marriage certificate showing my marriage to the child's natural mother. What else can i submit or do to prove that the relationship exists?. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

pictures, emails, postcards, intent to adopt, etc. Not quite sure how that can be arranged if the kid is very young.

Comment

The child is fifteen. There are no pictures, letters or postcards available...

Comment

if the child is in the States with you, why don't you make a couple of pictures? Also, if the child lives with both of you in the States, you can provide some proof of that (school records, etc.).

If the child is not in the States, maybe the child could write a couple of letters to you or about you, stating that he knows that you and his mother are married, etc.

I am just guessing, really, but if INS doesn't ask for any additional documentation, you should be just fine showing a marriage certificate to the mother. Since the child is 15, isn't he supposed to be in his mother's I-130 anyway? Or are you filing a separate one for him/her?

Comment

I dont need an I-130 just now. I am filing form I-730 (Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition). The child was not listed in my original application in my home country but the mother was. The child is currently in the U.S.

Comment

I think i can also get an affidavit from a "reliable individual" to attest to the relationship. Who does USCIS consider a reliable individual?? Any suggestions...

Comment

i provided an affidavit like that for a friend of mine, attesting to the existence of her marriage. She also got affidavits like that from the mother-in-law, brothers-in-laws, the pastor who married them, etc.

Comment

Is it necessary that the person giving the affidavit be a US citizen or permanent resident??

Comment

Is it necessary that the person giving the affidavit be a US citizen or permanent resident??

Comment

It is not necessary to be a US citizen, any one who knows the fact of your marriage to childs mother can do.
                      What about the Divorce Decree of your wife and her marriage certificate from the first. Then you have a birth certificate of the child. You can write a letter to the childs mother that you will be able to adopt a child at any stage.
                      What is you status in US?

Comment

Working...
                      X