Starting Asylum/Deportation Appeals Practice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Asylum/Deportation Appeals Practice

I'm starting out in the field and have a litigation background. Is it feasible to build a lucrative asylum/deportation appeals practice and is there enough paid work of this nature in NY, NJ, CT & MA area.
    Your experience would be appreciated.

I'm starting out in the field and have a litigation background. Is it feasible to build a lucrative asylum/deportation appeals practice and is there enough paid work of this nature in NY, NJ, CT & MA area.
    Your experience would be appreciated.

Comment

Are you an attorney licensed to practice? If so, it won't be a problem. The northeast has a large segment of population that may benefit from your services.

If you're not an attorney, you definitely need to be very very careful. It is sooo easy to provide legal advice in immigration. Believe me, I have my own immigration consulting business on the side (by day an immigration paralegal, by night an immigration consultant) and I choose to work with people who already have a basic understanding of what they are doing (then again, I don't do asylum or removal). I have all my clients sign a contract stating that I am not an attorney and they will be referred to a qualified attorney if their case requires legal advice or presents issues I cannot competently handle. This way, they know that I can't offer them legal advice from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCImmParalegal:

Are you an attorney licensed to practice? If so, it won't be a problem. The northeast has a large segment of population that may benefit from your services.

If you're not an attorney, you definitely need to be very very careful. It is sooo easy to provide legal advice in immigration. Believe me, I have my own immigration consulting business on the side (by day an immigration paralegal, by night an immigration consultant) and I choose to work with people who already have a basic understanding of what they are doing (then again, I don't do asylum or removal). I have all my clients sign a contract stating that I am not an attorney and they will be referred to a qualified attorney if their case requires legal advice or presents issues I cannot competently handle. This way, they know that I can't offer them legal advice from the beginning.
        NYCImmParalegal, can i have youe e-mail adds or you can e-mail me at yobombay@aol.com

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
        X