Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared to go to Canada & get passport stamped for H1

Hello!
    I was born and grew up in the UAE (although I'm an Indian citizen), and now I'm here in the US on H1 authorization. I don't have the non-immigrant stamp yet, (my authorization came through in May 2002), because since the UAE was on the list of countries whose nationals were forbidden to go to Canada to get their passports stamped, I'm terrified that if I do go to Canada even now that the UAE has been taken off the list, I might still be refused for a non-immigrant visa. Plus, if that happens, I can't come back into the US, even to pack my things up or anything.
    Now the obvious answer would be to go to the UAE or to India to get the stamp, but in either case I may have to be away for up to 8 weeks, and my employer won't let me be away for that long (i.e. I'll lose my job if I do).
    Can anyone think of any way out?
    Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Hello!
    I was born and grew up in the UAE (although I'm an Indian citizen), and now I'm here in the US on H1 authorization. I don't have the non-immigrant stamp yet, (my authorization came through in May 2002), because since the UAE was on the list of countries whose nationals were forbidden to go to Canada to get their passports stamped, I'm terrified that if I do go to Canada even now that the UAE has been taken off the list, I might still be refused for a non-immigrant visa. Plus, if that happens, I can't come back into the US, even to pack my things up or anything.
    Now the obvious answer would be to go to the UAE or to India to get the stamp, but in either case I may have to be away for up to 8 weeks, and my employer won't let me be away for that long (i.e. I'll lose my job if I do).
    Can anyone think of any way out?
    Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Comment

Used to be that you could cross between US and Canada without the H1 stamp. Why does a trip to UAE/India have to be two months?! I have gone many times for less than 2 weeks.

Comment

I wish I could go back and forth now without it, but I don't think that's possible anymore... right?
        The trips themselves don't take 2 months, but the processing of the visa in India might easily take that long, and in the UAE, I first have to get my resident's visa reinstated before I get my H1B stamp, and that resident's visa may well take up to that long as well. It's one of those things - it can take a week, it can take 8. So I don't feel comfortable not allowing for the extra time....

Comment

Working...
        X