Immediate Citizenship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immediate Citizenship

My nephew became a Legal Resident 1 1/2 years ago. He joined the United States Marines in October 2003. On July 3, 2002, Mr. Bush signed an "Expedited Naturalization Executive Order" authorizing all Armed Forces members, serving in support of "The Fight against Terrorism",to become United States Citizens without having to wait the normal three years for members of the Armed Forces. Fortunately for him, he did not have to go. My question is for those individuals knowledgeable about immigration matters, Can he apply for citizenship based on the executive order below signed by President Bush on July 3, 2002?

Expedited Naturalization Executive Order
    Executive Order Expedited Naturalization of Aliens and Noncitizen Nationals Serving in An Active-Duty Status During the War on Terrorism

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1440) (the "Act"), and solely in order to provide expedited naturalization for aliens and noncitizen nationals serving in an active-duty status in the Armed Forces of the United States during the period of the war against terrorists of global reach, it is hereby ordered as follows:

For the purpose of determining qualification for the exception from the usual requirements for naturalization, I designate as a period in which the Armed Forces of the United States were engaged in armed conflict with a hostile foreign force the period beginning on September 11, 2001. Such period will be deemed to terminate on a date designated by future Executive Order. Those persons serving honorably in active-duty status in the Armed Forces of the United States, during the period beginning on September 11, 2001, and terminating on the date to be so designated, are eligible for naturalization in accordance with the statutory exception to the naturalization requirements, as provided in section 329 of the Act. Nothing contained in this order is intended to affect, nor does it affect, any other power, right, or obligation of the United States, its agencies, officers, employees, or any other person under Federal law or the law of nations.

GEORGE W. BUSH
    THE WHITE HOUSE,
    July 3, 2002.

# # #

My nephew became a Legal Resident 1 1/2 years ago. He joined the United States Marines in October 2003. On July 3, 2002, Mr. Bush signed an "Expedited Naturalization Executive Order" authorizing all Armed Forces members, serving in support of "The Fight against Terrorism",to become United States Citizens without having to wait the normal three years for members of the Armed Forces. Fortunately for him, he did not have to go. My question is for those individuals knowledgeable about immigration matters, Can he apply for citizenship based on the executive order below signed by President Bush on July 3, 2002?

Expedited Naturalization Executive Order
    Executive Order Expedited Naturalization of Aliens and Noncitizen Nationals Serving in An Active-Duty Status During the War on Terrorism

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1440) (the "Act"), and solely in order to provide expedited naturalization for aliens and noncitizen nationals serving in an active-duty status in the Armed Forces of the United States during the period of the war against terrorists of global reach, it is hereby ordered as follows:

For the purpose of determining qualification for the exception from the usual requirements for naturalization, I designate as a period in which the Armed Forces of the United States were engaged in armed conflict with a hostile foreign force the period beginning on September 11, 2001. Such period will be deemed to terminate on a date designated by future Executive Order. Those persons serving honorably in active-duty status in the Armed Forces of the United States, during the period beginning on September 11, 2001, and terminating on the date to be so designated, are eligible for naturalization in accordance with the statutory exception to the naturalization requirements, as provided in section 329 of the Act. Nothing contained in this order is intended to affect, nor does it affect, any other power, right, or obligation of the United States, its agencies, officers, employees, or any other person under Federal law or the law of nations.

GEORGE W. BUSH
    THE WHITE HOUSE,
    July 3, 2002.

# # #

Comment

He joined October 2003? I don't get it, do you mean he will join October 2003?

As soon as he is out of bootcamp, he can apply for citizenship.
      SEMPER VIPER / Army Strong!

Comment

Thank you for the correction.

My nephew joined on October 2002. Does that mean he is eligible to apply? He's been out of bootcamp since mid February 2003.

Thank you,

Juan

Comment

What is he waiting for then?

Tell him to go his Military Personnel Flight (this term might only be used in the AF, and USMC might have other term for personnel filing) and start the process. Is he waiting for the tech school to be over?

Comment

Thank you, Bushmaster. Are you in the Air Force by any chance.

I will be filling out his N-400 and his G-325 Authobiographical Data. Are there any other forms that he needs to fill out.

Do I need to include the Execute Order signed by Mr. Bush along with the N-400 and G-325?

Thank you,

Juan

Comment

No I am not in the Airforce, I will be Army hopefully, but I do know that USMC will take care of everything. He needs to get the naturalization guide from his personnel command. Without that you will not know what to do. And also the personnel staff is going to file the application.

Check out this link

http://sja.hqmc.usmc.mil/jal/Practic...on%20Guide.pdf

Comment

Thank you, again Bushmaster. I am prior Army. I spent 5 months is Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

The information that you have provided is definitely helping and will help a lot in getting my nephew naturalized.

Thank you,

Juan

Comment

Nice meeting you Juan, what did you do in the Army?

Also please keep in touch about the entire natz. process of your nephew... I'd like to have an idea on how long the process would take. I am assuming a year of course depending on the office.

You can reach me at this forum...

http://www.immigrate2us.net/

Comment

your nephew should be eligable for naturalization by now. He'll just need some paperwork from the military that he's active duty in good standing (like Bushmaster explained to you already), military legal aids assist with the paperwork that needs to be sent off to Washington (and which can take a long time to be processed). Good luck!

Comment

Advise, what is the paperwork that being sent to DC? Military Disciplinary checks?

Comment

Thank you Advise and Bushmaster for taking the time to answer my inquiry.

I know from experience. It took me 3 1/2 years to become a citizen either because of the bureaucracy or just because some inept person was assigned to my case(one person was assigned military cases then). I had to submit finger- prints three times and visit the then INS office more than 20 times just to find out the status of my application.

Even then, if it had not been for a nice person whom I bumped into in the elevator and who happened to work there(INS) and understood what I was being put through, I was able to naturalize. It's possible that I could still be waiting to become naturalized.

THE ONLY THING THAT I NEEDED TO DO WAS SIGN THE N-400 AGAIN. RIDICULOUS ISN'T IT?

Comment

As far as I know from a friend (who also naturalized via the military route - even though he'd been an LPR for 20+ yrs.) was that it took rather longer (16 months, instead of the 6-12 months usual here).

Then you're active duty or base your naturalization on your prior military service, you need aditional information and evidence from the military (military conduct, disciplinary actions, honorable discharge records etc.). Being a big burocracy, it can take longer for the military to process those than for BCIS to process a regular naturalization. All this may have changed with the exec order.

Good luck!

Comment

What about for the people who are serving in Guard and Reserves?
                            http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums/a/.../m/66710744321

Thanks

Comment

Juan: It is nice to know that you were in Desert Sheild/Strom. I was station at Dhahran how about you?

Comment

Working...
                              X