Naturalization after extended stay abroad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naturalization after extended stay abroad

Can anyone tell me if INS is going to hassle me when I apply for naturalization having spent abroad 2 years out of 5 since becoming a permanent resident? I travel to the US every 180 days in order not to disrupt continuity of residence for naturalization purposes and I did obtain a reentry permit prior to departure from the US so I should be fine from the legal standpoint and yet I wonder... Did anyone here have to apply for naturalization after a long stay overseas? I would appreciate your comments! Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if INS is going to hassle me when I apply for naturalization having spent abroad 2 years out of 5 since becoming a permanent resident? I travel to the US every 180 days in order not to disrupt continuity of residence for naturalization purposes and I did obtain a reentry permit prior to departure from the US so I should be fine from the legal standpoint and yet I wonder... Did anyone here have to apply for naturalization after a long stay overseas? I would appreciate your comments! Thanks!

Comment

If you've spent 3 of the last 5 years in the US and none of your trips lasted more than 6 months, you should be OK. You should probably gather some evidence that you maintained ties to the US - taxes filed, ownership papers for any property here, your re-entry permit, etc.

Comment

This is old topic, however I recently
        hear from a office at the workshop.
        They focus on the continuous residency
        reqyirement by not only just single trip
        length but pattern.

They clearly states by example like
        you stay 4 month outside, and then
        you stay 1 week in the US then stay out side
        5 month then stay in the US 2 week then you
        stay outside 5 month.
        In this case, what he said is that
        "don't play game! it means you just
        reside outside US for 1 year and 2 month.
        You continuous residency clearly broken
        unless you can show me you have a home, job,
        or payment your own apartment in the US.

Comment

Guest stop playing those games. You will likely lose your PR as well if they catch up on you.

Thats what they are doing post-911. In any case, why do you want to be naturalized if you dont live here? Whats your point? Why dont you just forget here and go where you belong?

Comment

Hi
            Sorry for not reading in detail.
            In this case, guest got reentry-permit,
            accrding to the some URL giddance,
            it may save the continuous residency as PR
            but may be not for naturalization purpose.

I cannot find the intresting case posted by David in Febuary or March this year,
            who travel outside 7-8 times. He mentions
            None of them were not over 6 monthes but
            total physical presence is only 2 and half year or little bit more than that.
            He mentioned his naturalization application is "strongly" rejected.
            I just wondered if he made the same pattern;
            for nearly 2 and half year.

Comment

Working...
            X