QUESTIONS PLZ HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUESTIONS PLZ HELP

I went yesterday and spoke to a lawyer but I am not quite surew if what she is saying will work. I am a USC who is involved with an illegal. We have a son together. She said that if we got married here he could adjust his status in the US, by filling out the I-30 (i believe)and the rest of a packet. I thought that if they were illegal he had to go to his home country to recieve his papes and then possibly end up facing a 3/10 ban. Can someone provide info on this and tell me about any experieces. Any advice would be great also.

Thanks in Advance

I went yesterday and spoke to a lawyer but I am not quite surew if what she is saying will work. I am a USC who is involved with an illegal. We have a son together. She said that if we got married here he could adjust his status in the US, by filling out the I-30 (i believe)and the rest of a packet. I thought that if they were illegal he had to go to his home country to recieve his papes and then possibly end up facing a 3/10 ban. Can someone provide info on this and tell me about any experieces. Any advice would be great also.

Thanks in Advance

Comment

As long as he has enterred the country legally and has not committed any crime here, he can adjust status here after marrying a USC

Comment

Whatever you do, he SHOULD NOT leave the country, or he wull be facing the 3/10 years ban

Comment

he entered illegally but the lawyer is acting like there would be NO problems if he wanted to go home for a visit.. This sounds like it is too easy to me. I think there is a catch somewhere. Is there a waiver to let him leavge the country and re-enter without facing 3/10 after he gets all papers here?
          Thank You g

Comment

If he came into the country illegally he cannot change status unless 245i is prolongued.

Did he enter the country without inspection or something else?

Comment

yes he entered without inspection. The lawyer said he could change status without 245. Like I said before this sounds too easy. Please any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

i hope someone can help with this please. Xandtrick thanks for the input anymore you can give me would be wonderful.

Comment

Unless 245i is extented he will not be able to adjust status although there are known exceptions.

Only thing he can do is go back to his homecountry and apply for a K-1 visa or you file a I-130 if you are already married but beware, this may trigger the 10 year ban.

My advise is to talk to a good, and I mean good lawyer.

Comment

we talked about the k visa and she said that too much lying would be involved. its hard to prove a long distance relationship when hes here with me. Can you tell me of some of these exceptions?
                    Thank you for all your help.

Comment

Please read what you are being told. If your partner entered illigally there is not much hope at the moment. I see you have two options. 1) he can wait it out and hope that 245i is re-enacted, that could be along time though. 2) he could sneak back out (without inspection) and apply for a visa in his native country, which could take anywhere from 6-12 months. The lawyer is giving you some serious mis-information if she is saying that there wont be any problems. Oh! and if he chooses 2. don't put your papers in cos they will know that he was here.

Comment

i am understanding what is being said, its just that I am in complete awe over the lawyer. How can she teel me something that would not be that easy as she said? Well thanks to you all who posted and yes I am going to go speak to another lawyer asap. hopefully i will come out with better understandings.... of all this.

Comment

abm1,
                          I had many of the same experiences with lawyers. They all told me to do this and do that. And I would have to remind them of certain laws. I was astounded as well. Basically, they were either lying to get my money, or very, very ignorant immigration lawyers - especially if I - who knew nothing of any of these laws before June of this year - knew more than they did.

I found one lawyer who was honest with me, and he wasn't even an immigration lawyer. He said he would need $20,000 to try to get the false passport charge reduced to a misdemeanor, and that would do nothing to help him remain in the country. He told me there were no guarantees.

Many "immigration" lawyers told me the same as you. I had to do all of my own research. It's really a shame that you can't trust the people whom you should be able to trust most. It's really a crime that these people would lie and destroy people's lives in order to "earn" money.

You have only two options that I can see, and both of them are extremely risky. One would be, as one poster said, that he sneak back to his own country (Mexico?), and pretend he had never come here. This would involve a good deal of dishonesty on both of your parts, and may be uncovered in the marriage interview later. Especially if you can't prove that you have ever been to his country.

The second option would be to get married here, file the I-130, and then, when that is rejected, apply for a waiver. You must prove extreme hardship if he would not be allowed to stay, and this, from what I have been reading, is a virtually impossible thing to do. But with a child involved, you have a better chance than some. But who knows? By the time you get through with all of this, the laws may have changed. I am reaading that Representative Gephardt has introduced a forgiveness bill for those illegals who have been here for five or more years, and who have had no troubles here. If a forgiveness bill is enacted, there is a good chance that they will be most leniant with Mexicans, as the Republicans are trying to gain their votes, and Bush is trying to build good relations with Fox. This is the trend I am seeing.

Or you could move to Canada. *sigh* Even this seems to be quite complicated, and I'm not reading good things about the odds of getting a job...

Don't trust just any immigration lawyer. I got different stories from all of them.

Good luck to you,
                          juju

Comment

juju,
                            thanks for tour post. I have been doing alot of my own research, but it the same token it seems like that the lawyers are in chahoots with INS. It seems that with money all is poosible. I think this is wrong. I am not saying all lawyers but I find it kind of funny that when they send off papers they come back quicker, and it aLSO seems that a lawyer can get "around" some of the laws.. well i am almost positive i need to just wait for 245 but who knows when that will happen. Also juju i have been to his country 3 yimes now but it has not been with him. I went on vacation and to visit other people i knew. any more info would be great as i am researching also.

thank You

Comment

abm1
                              juju,
                              thanks for tour post. I have been doing alot of my own research, but it the same token it seems like that the lawyers are in chahoots with INS. It seems that with money all is poosible. I think this is wrong. I am not saying all lawyers but I find it kind of funny that when they send off papers they come back quicker, and it aLSO seems that a lawyer can get "around" some of the laws.. well i am almost positive i need to just wait for 245 but who knows when that will happen. Also juju i have been to his country 3 yimes now but it has not been with him. I went on vacation and to visit other people i knew. any more info would be great as i am researching also.

thank You

Comment

Working...
                              X