Mexican border

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican border

Does anyone know if a green card holder can go to Mexico and back with only a green card?

Does anyone know if a green card holder can go to Mexico and back with only a green card?

Comment

yes of course. albiet they say the mexicans want you to carry your passport with you. Don't know, cuz i don't know if there's sucha thing as an "mexican immigration" agency.

-= nav =-

Comment

There is, of course, an immigration agency in Mexico. To cross the border your documents will not be checked. Most likely you will not even need to stop the car, unless the light happens to turn red (this is supposed to be random). If you do need to stop, they will only inspect for customs or illegal items. If you go beyond the border zone, there is another checkpoint. To go beyond that you will need a car permit, and they may ask to see you rvisa. The visa is issued to citizens of most countries, but may technically require a passport. If your stay is less than 24 hours you do not need a visa. If you go beyond the border zone and for more than 24 hours you may very well get spot checked that you have a visa, and that you have gone to a bank and paid the fee.

Your question is whether the green card is sufficient to get the visa without the passport. I don't know. It is in Canada. I went with a friend to Mexico once who was a green card holder from the filipines. The Filipino consulate said he couldn't renew his passport unless he paid taxes to the filipines for all money earned in the U.S. He tooik his chances with Mexican immigration.

Of course the green card is perfectly sufficient to return to the U.S.

Comment

Working...
        X