Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will having left the country for short visits disqualify me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will having left the country for short visits disqualify me?

What is the rule?
    I am going to apply for adjustment of status based on section 240 of the act, because I have been here since 1966. According to this act, anyone residing in this country continually since before 1972 can apply for Registry, so I will. I did not return to Mexico, my country of origin, during the first 15 years. aThen, after 1982 I started going back there invited by universities and cultural organization to lecture and give courses on human growth. My made departures from the US never lasted more than 30 days. I did this every year for almost 20 years. I returned to the US using my old local border passport. It allowed me to visit the US for 72 hours and no more than 50 miles. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have worked my way all these years and have been a business owner for the last 24 years. I have simultaneusly done volunteer cultural work for over 30 years teaching human development courses. I am married and our four children were all born in Mexico. They also came here in late 1966. Two of them have been married to american citizens for more that 10 years. We purchased our home in 1973 and have refinanced the mortgage a couple of times since then. We are all financially solvent. As soon as we put together all documents that will serve as evidence of our continuous residency here, we are all applying together to adjust our status. We are all very grateful for the opportunities we have had and want to finish living the rest of our lives here, enjoying our life and contributing to the betterment of this country. which we feel it as ours, to the level of our capabilities. For various foolish reasons, we made the mistake of not adjusting our status during the Immigration Amnesty years ago.

So, my question is, can the fact that I left the country in a few occassions, for such short periods of time, disqualify me from getting legal residency?

What is the rule?
    I am going to apply for adjustment of status based on section 240 of the act, because I have been here since 1966. According to this act, anyone residing in this country continually since before 1972 can apply for Registry, so I will. I did not return to Mexico, my country of origin, during the first 15 years. aThen, after 1982 I started going back there invited by universities and cultural organization to lecture and give courses on human growth. My made departures from the US never lasted more than 30 days. I did this every year for almost 20 years. I returned to the US using my old local border passport. It allowed me to visit the US for 72 hours and no more than 50 miles. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have worked my way all these years and have been a business owner for the last 24 years. I have simultaneusly done volunteer cultural work for over 30 years teaching human development courses. I am married and our four children were all born in Mexico. They also came here in late 1966. Two of them have been married to american citizens for more that 10 years. We purchased our home in 1973 and have refinanced the mortgage a couple of times since then. We are all financially solvent. As soon as we put together all documents that will serve as evidence of our continuous residency here, we are all applying together to adjust our status. We are all very grateful for the opportunities we have had and want to finish living the rest of our lives here, enjoying our life and contributing to the betterment of this country. which we feel it as ours, to the level of our capabilities. For various foolish reasons, we made the mistake of not adjusting our status during the Immigration Amnesty years ago.

So, my question is, can the fact that I left the country in a few occassions, for such short periods of time, disqualify me from getting legal residency?

Comment

Working...
    X