US passport for a father of a US-born baby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US passport for a father of a US-born baby

My friend is a non-US citizen, and lives outside the USA. His son was born in the USA, and has received his (the son) US passport. The father asks if he can get a US passport because his son got one? if he can but not now, when can he get it?

Thank you for your detailed answer.

My friend is a non-US citizen, and lives outside the USA. His son was born in the USA, and has received his (the son) US passport. The father asks if he can get a US passport because his son got one? if he can but not now, when can he get it?

Thank you for your detailed answer.

Comment

He can get one when he becomes a US citizen, probably 7-10 years after his son turns 21.

The Grand Poo-Bah
      Lord Chief Justice, Master of the Buckhounds and Groom of the Back Stairs

Comment

Having a US citizen child doesn't make the parents US citizen. To have US passport, the parent have to become a citizen first. As our friend said....when he reached 21...long way to go.

Comment

Its a Long wait. Child need to be 21 years of age to file I-130 for the parents. No waiting
          time. they can get visa within two years. But they will be an Immigrant to the US and will have to do the time of five years to get the Citizenship. Once they are citizen then they can apply for the US Passports not before that.

Comment

Working...
          X