From UK to US

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From UK to US

I heard that people from the United kingdom can live and work in the US without getting a greencard.If this is true can someone tell me how do they go about doing just that.

I heard that people from the United kingdom can live and work in the US without getting a greencard.If this is true can someone tell me how do they go about doing just that.

Comment

They can if they are on an inter company transfer commonly referred as L1 visa which is generally short term like 2-5 years. Apart from that I'm pretty sure anyone requires a work permit.

Comment

Thanks ghost; but do you or anyone know if it's the same procedure a for UK citzen to get a work permit or do they have an advantage.
        Thanks again.

Comment

HI There,
          The procedure is the same for everyone. You do have an advantage coming from the UK but negligible; I won't count too much on it. Give me some more details on you. Are you married to a USC? Why do you want to come here?

Comment

Hi: I am from the UK and have just had my green card application approved. I have been "through the mill" as they say. Trust me when I say that we have absolutely NO advantage coming from the UK. You can go to the US on various other visas/work permits, such as the h1b- where you have to find a sponsor then the sponsor has to prove that they have tried to hire people in the US already. or the l1 visa-but for this you must have worked (in the UK) for a company who has offices in the US for 3-5years. It is a difficult and annoying procedure. I got my green card because I am a nurse and nurses are in national shortage in the US. Even being a priority applicant (immigrations words not mine) it still took 15 months and I have about another 5 to go. The quickest way is to get married to a US citizen. So to answer your question, you must have a work permit of some kind to live and work in the US. You cannot go to the US otherwise.

Comment

Hi folks, I'm from the UK as well and everything DMC491 says is true.......getting the green card LEGALLY is a long haul but in the end worth it......Sorry freeworld you have a lot to learn about US immigration........good luck

Comment

Working...
              X