Change of Plans...HELP please !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of Plans...HELP please !!

I've posted here a few times about marrying my fiance before meeting. Well, since we both want things to go smoothly, we are going to meet first in a few months hopefully. *crosses fingers* Anyway, even after the meeting is all said and done, I still have one major concern. The affidavit of support poverty level issue. If we file the fiance visa in december, which income year will matter the most.....2001, 2002 or ?? I'm asking because I know it takes at least a few months before the papers are sent to his country and then his interview who knows how long after that and by that time it will be 2003. Thanks again in advance for the info.

I've posted here a few times about marrying my fiance before meeting. Well, since we both want things to go smoothly, we are going to meet first in a few months hopefully. *crosses fingers* Anyway, even after the meeting is all said and done, I still have one major concern. The affidavit of support poverty level issue. If we file the fiance visa in december, which income year will matter the most.....2001, 2002 or ?? I'm asking because I know it takes at least a few months before the papers are sent to his country and then his interview who knows how long after that and by that time it will be 2003. Thanks again in advance for the info.

Comment

I haven't read your other thread, but I'm glad to hear you both are meeting before filing. I think that is one of the requirements for fiance visa.

Good question. I didn't think about that since now it's 2002, but we put the poverty guideline that corresponded to the most recent tax year. My assumption is that the INS wants to compare the sponsor's income to the poverty level of the same year. We filed this year after April 15th so both numbers were 2001.

Comment

I've sent along three years of income tax filings, a current check stub, prints of what I have in my 401k and how much my house is worth. Then I think they compare that to whatever year it will be by the time you come to live in the U.S. Remember, the K-1 is only good for 90 days.....you have to do the support thing all over again when you adjust status.

Comment

Working...
        X