Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experts, please look into this 245(i) case.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experts, please look into this 245(i) case.

If Tom is grandfathered under 245(i) because the LC was filed for him before 4/30/2001 and approved. Tom became out of status later. Tom's wife is always in legal status and will be able to file LC, I-140 and I-485 in future. Can tom adjust status under 245(i) at the time his wife files I-485?

If Tom is grandfathered under 245(i) because the LC was filed for him before 4/30/2001 and approved. Tom became out of status later. Tom's wife is always in legal status and will be able to file LC, I-140 and I-485 in future. Can tom adjust status under 245(i) at the time his wife files I-485?

Comment

How did Tom become out of status, how long ago, and what did Tom do about it at the time?

Comment

Tom got laid off after 4/30/2001 and his I-94 is expired. He didn't file any application for change status after he got laid off.

Comment

Let me put my question in this way
          - Tom had LC filed for him and was approved before 4/30/2001
          - Tom was physically presented in US 12/21/2000.
          Therefore, I believe Tom has grandfathered under 245(i).

Now, my question is:
          Assume Tom has been out of status after 4/30/2001.
          If Tom's wife is always in legal status and will be able to file LC, I-140 and I-485 in future. Can Tom adjust status under 245(i) at the time his wife files I-485?

In other words, does Tom have to adjust status under his own application? Or his wife's employment-based Green Card Application could also be his basis of adjustment?

Thank you very much!

Comment

It sounds like you need a good lawyer to answer your situation. You needed to file under 245(i) long ago, but most of all you needed to comply with the expiration of your I-94. The INS has you on file and is bound to ask why not. You could be in deep trouble. Seek advice from an expert.

Comment

Any application filed on or before 4/2001 are granfathered by 245(i)I'm not an expert of the law but in my opinion you will get the benefit of 245(i) when your spouse files your I-485.

Comment

The due date of 245i in this article is January
                14, 1998, but at least you can get a concept of grandfathering on this article.

http://www.rreeves.com/pub_155.htm
                The INS has consistently stated that the 245i benefit goes with the person and not with the petition. This means that, if Maria had a labor certification that was filed prior to January 14, 1998, but wants to adjust based on a different family-based petition, she can still use 245i to remain in the U.S. and get her green card. So long as Maria was eligible based on any pre-January 14, 1998 petition, she shall always retain eligibility. This means she may eventually adjust based on a marriage, based on a brother/sister petition, based on the labor certification or any other available petition.

Comment

Section 245(i) grandfathered until April 30, 2001.Don't worry Tom you are safe.

Comment

I appreciate all your help and inputs!

Comment

Working...
                    X