NJ drivers license

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJ drivers license

Will DMV accept an approved I-130 (797) as proof of legal authority to presence in the US? I would like my wife to be able to drive before the I-485 is approved, which we know can take along time. Any help here?

Will DMV accept an approved I-130 (797) as proof of legal authority to presence in the US? I would like my wife to be able to drive before the I-485 is approved, which we know can take along time. Any help here?

Comment

'Noncitizens must show formal proof that the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service has authorized their presence in this country under federal law, and allows licensing or the issuance of a nondriver identification card.'

'All nonresident drivers are required within 60 days as permanent New Jersey residents, or when their out-of-state licenses expire, whichever comes first, to purchase examination permits. Nonresidents under 18 years are subject to the GDL requirements. If they wish to apply for a New Jersey license they should follow the steps outlined for special permit and examination holders. To purchase the permit, go to any MVS agency, show the required proofs of age, identity, name change if applicable (see below) and take the written test and vision screening. If you pass, you must surrender your out-of-state driver license before MVS issues you a New Jersey examination permit or driver license. If you are 18 or older, you may be exempt from the road test.'

Comment

When you fill out I 485 fill out also for work permit . I received mine 2 weeks after I filled out (Vermount ). That's certainly a good proof that you are legally in the US. Good luck

Comment

Mikey is asking if he could show approved I-130 to get his wife's driver's license.
          Mikey, we used to live in jersey, this was my experience with NJ DMV. My status is in limbo so I didn't have any proper docs. to present to the DMV. I only have the approved I-130 but they won't accept it. If I had EAD, then they could have issued a driver's license for me.I hope my experience with them will give you an idea on how to do the next step.I tell you, they are very strict.

Comment

You have my sympathy. I had an EAD and they issued me a DL for the date of expiration of the EAD. Fortunately I got my GC prior to the expiration so my driving privilages were not cancelled.

You really need a card...EAD or GC...or a stamp in your passport. However under the Geneva convention her driving licence from her native country translated into english should suffice for one year under NJ rules.

hope it helps.

LOZ

Comment

Thanks! I guess the EAD will be the best bet. Until then we can get her out of country licence translated, but is that good even though she is "out of status" ?

Comment

The NJ DMV also requires a valid SSN (Social Security Number) or they will not issue a driver's license or license plates.

Comment

Working...
                X