Dual citizenship ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual citizenship ?

The country I come from allows dual citizenship, so even if I aquire USA citizenship I still remain a citizen of the country of my birth and am allowed to hold two passports.My question is what is the view of the USA of dual nationality.?

The country I come from allows dual citizenship, so even if I aquire USA citizenship I still remain a citizen of the country of my birth and am allowed to hold two passports.My question is what is the view of the USA of dual nationality.?

Comment

Frowned upon, and your supposed to "reliqunish all citizenship" during your oath. But even if you kept one afterwards -- it's not cause for you to lose your us citizneship. So basically like most countries, they just look the other way really.

-= nav =-

Comment

Well, If your country where you wew born or from allows dual citizenship, no problem.
        I know a lot of people keep dual citizenship even though their previous country does not allow dual citizenship.
        Well, this is the limitation. US low only aplicable to US and it cannnot be enforced
        to other countries and reverse is also true.

Comment

Yes, in theory, during the citizenship oath you "relinquish all citizenship" to countries other than the US. However, a lot of countries that allow dual citizenship won't let you relinquish your citizenship of their country. Basically, they choose to ignore that you ever took US citizenship and whatever you do they will always consider you a citizen. The US cannot (legally) force another country to strip you of your citizenship just because you took US citizenship, so the US just looks the other way.

However, having another country's citizenship is frowned upon by the US. They can't really do anything about you having dual citizenship, but always present yourself to US authorities as a US citizen (NEVER as the other countries citizen). Presenting yourself as a citizen of your birth country to US authorities or joining governement or military service of the other country MAY be interpreted by the US that you abandoned your allegiences with the US. This MAY result in the US stripping you of your US citizenship.

Generally speaking, as long as your birth country allows dual citizenship, you don't present yourself as a citizen of another country, you don't join another country's goverenment or military service, or go off and fight the US as part of another countries military, you should be fine.

Marc

Comment

Thanks for your comprehensive and clear answer.

Comment

Working...
            X