I-140 and TN Status

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-140 and TN Status

I actually have 2 questions: 1) Is the application for I-140 dependent on DOL Certification?? 2) If we go to TN status (we are Canadian) is there any way to apply for permanent status? As i understand it, these 2 are mutually exclusive.

Thanks.

I actually have 2 questions: 1) Is the application for I-140 dependent on DOL Certification?? 2) If we go to TN status (we are Canadian) is there any way to apply for permanent status? As i understand it, these 2 are mutually exclusive.

Thanks.

Comment

You are correct, TN status is non-immigrant only. If your long-term plan is to return to Canada, you can renew TN status indefinitely. If you want to remain in the US permanently, you should probably change to H-1B status, which allows immigrant intent. While a person in TN status may have a labor cert filed on his/her behalf, this is usually considered inconsistent with TN status, and it's unlikely that a request to extend TN status would be granted.

Regarding the I-140, DOL labor certification is required for most employment-based immigrant categories. Multinational managers, outstanding researchers, extraordinary abilty workers and National Interest Waiver applicants do not require labor certification.

Comment

Working...
      X