green card lottery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green card lottery

If a person has overstayed here, can he/she still apply for the Green Card lottery?

You can apply but if you win you must go to your country to get it, and when you get back you can barred because of your overstay.

I think however you can file a waiver to see if they will forgive your overstay, and let you in to get the green card.

Comment

Are you sure about that? I thought the overstay is only forgiven when you marry a USC.

Comment

To be eligable for the DVD lotto, you must be admissiable, as an overstay in the U.S. you're deportable as well as inadmissiable. Depending on how long you overstayed you can't qualify for the lotto for 3, 5, 10 or 20 yrs. once you have left the U.S.

Comment

What if you're married to USC but unable to adjust status because certain visa types won't allow.Can I apply for Green Card lottery?

Comment

If you're unable to adjust your status based on your marriage to a USC, I don't know what other visa would be available to you if any at all (?)

Comment

So do that mean it's better off to not apply?? bcos if someone happens to win but have overstayed. INS will find out taht that person has overstayed and may deport him/her??

Comment

Someone pls help answer my questions....

Comment

Evo,
                  One of my friend had been illegal when he won the lottery.
                  It took him longer (1.5 yrs.) but with the help of a lawyer he got the greencard. I would consult a lawyer. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks bmmer. I think it's possible with the help of the lawyer. Now does your friend have to leave the US first then come back in??

Comment

BMMER, can you give me the lawyer's name?

Comment

I don't want to crush your hopes, Evo, but it used to be possible; being an overstay or even an illegal and adjust your status once you had a basis for it such as being selected in the DVD lottery, but now the DVD may not be considered for someone who's inadmissiable or removable.

So, I don't know about the case bmmer describes, but it doesn't sound like something that has happened recently, say, since the laws got tighter in 1996 and again in Sept. 2001; overstays and visa violators are being punished a lot harder.

Comment

Hi guys

If you overstay your status, you can still apply for the green card lottery only if you were present in the US on December20, 2000, and also if you have a family base immigration visa petion(ex: you are marry to a US citizen) or you have an immigrant visa petion base on emplyment(labor certification) both file on or before April 31, 2001. also see 2002 extention.
                          In this case you are a beneficiary of the ''LIFE'' INA Section 245(i), and you are beneficiary for life. OTHERWISE YOU CAN'T BENEFIT THE GREEN CARD LOTTERY VISA

Comment

Working...
                          X